How to report this nasty ham

(1/6) > >>

Derek Winterstien:
A Local Volunteer Examiner (VE) recently confronted me in a verbal assault and he used profanity on a local repeater.  He is a self-proclaimed leader in the local ham community, officer in a local club, and he presides over new license examinations.

I believe that his role should lend itself to setting a good example to other ham operators.  His duty is to set a good example, not stoop to dirt flinging. If ever there is a ham that is out of line, a VE needs to hold the moral high ground, stay above any mud flinging, and set a good example. He was unable to behave in a manner in accordance with this duty and responsibility.

His use of indecent language was captured in a recording as well as his verbal assault on me.   My question is, what can be done and whom should I notify?  Should this be handled by the local section manager, or the FCC?

This guy has been on my case ever since I was licensed and he seems to have a personal vendetta against me.  There are a small handful of hams he has decided he doesn’t care for so he makes that well known.  It is a very unfortunate situation.

Jared Lambert:
Remember, it's just a hobby.

Bradley Knapp:
Looks like you called him out by name on your webpage, complete with an audio clip..........................

>>>>On Tuesday September 26, 2017 shortly after 22:00 local VE (Volunteer Examiner) Don Brown W0AF with malice and as the aggressor launched a verbal assault on me, including using profanity over a local repeater. As part of the "good example" this ham chooses to bring to the amateur radio community he placed his license at risk violating FCC rules in his tirade directed at me. We hams are not required to necessarily like every member of the ham community, however, we are required not to launch into verbal profanity. Examiner Don Brown W0AF should do the right thing and surrender his role as a Volunteer Examiner realizing he is not a good example to new hams. Let me be clear, he initiated the conversation by using my call sign and immediately engaged in his rant directed at me. Had I known he was going to conduct himself in such a juvenile way, I would have avoided the request for a conversation.

Don is a VE and should have known better. His duty is to set a good example, not stoop to dirt flinging. If ever there is a ham that is out of line, a VE needs to hold the moral high ground, stay above any mud flinging, and set a good example. Don Brown was unable to behave in a manner in accordance with this duty and responsibility.

For the record, I did not, nor have I ever used a profanity directed at another ham operator over the air, and I can provide recordings of any of the nets in question to support the truth. It only takes a short time for rumors and sensationalism to obscure the truth. I have the truth on record.

With an apology from Don Brown I will forgive, remove this post, and forget the entire incident.<<<<

Now you're here.  Do you really believe the FCC or anyone at the League will even give a "he was mean to me on the repeater" email a look?  Geez man, turn the knob and let it go.

Jared Lambert:
Quote from: K9MHZ on September 28, 2017, 07:39:15 AM

Looks like you called him out by name on your webpage, complete with an audio clip..........................

Just listened to the audio clip.  OP better stay away from 75M if he's offended by "pompous ass".

Ron Notarius W3WN:
Profanity over the air should not be acceptable procedure, regardless of who the ham is, how long he has been licensed, what roles he performs in the area, or alleged provocation if any.  A proper complaint to the FCC is in order.  A proper complaint to the owner of the repeater would also be in order.

That said...

With all due respect, we are only hearing one side of this.  So making a judgement about the next step is premature.

A complaint to the ARRL, or to the Section Manager, would probably thus be premature at the moment.

You may want to have a word with the President and other officers of the local club that this person represents as a VE.  I suspect that it may not go anywhere.

Are there not other clubs, other VE teams?  Offhand, if this person is as toxic to you as you've indicated, probably best to just avoid him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page