Vintage QSL Cards

(1/3) > >>

MARTIN MARRIS:
A friend who is a former ham is preparing to move out of his house. In the downsizing process, he has given me his QSL card collection. There are about 50 cards, all dated in 1965 or 1966, when my friend was 12 to 13 years old.

He has jokingly asked me whether I think they are worth any money, and I thought probably not! They are of some interest to me, in particular because of the equipment listed by the hams: a large number of Drake 2B receivers and DX-60 transmitters!

Of the 50 cards, they are all U.S. apart from two DX: one from the Panama Canal Zone and one from Brazil. (Edited to add: I just found a third DX card, from Germany.)

For what it's worth, my friend is an "atomic kid" -- his parents worked at the huge government plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, and his QTH was in the town of Oak Ridge. His own QSL card had the "atom" logo on the front (the intersecting elliptical lines).

Was I right to tell my friend that these cards have no monetary value? I said I would check for him. I do see that people try to sell old QSL cards on eBay for $6 each.....

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

Ken Kuzenski:
I see cards for sale on ebay but I sure don't know who buys them.  Maybe a bulk lot of 50 would sell, I don't know.  But there IS a sort of a museum for QSL cards, I've seen it online, and I believe they'd be DELIGHTED to get the cards as a gift--they'll be scanned and appear online in the museum's files.   Worth a look!

Mel Granick:
Quote from: AC4RD on October 05, 2017, 03:52:20 PM

I see cards for sale on ebay but I sure don't know who buys them. 

There's a market for just about everything on eBay.

Just search "QSL cards" and look at the "sold" listings.

If you want to put in the time and effort to scan/photograph and list them, the cards may bring in a few dollars.

Peter Chadwick:
I think that there is QSL card museum in Austria who could be interested in them, but I don't think they would pay.

Richard Conner:
Quote from: AC4RD on October 05, 2017, 03:52:20 PM

I see cards for sale on ebay but I sure don't know who buys them.  Maybe a bulk lot of 50 would sell, I don't know.  But there IS a sort of a museum for QSL cards, I've seen it online, and I believe they'd be DELIGHTED to get the cards as a gift--they'll be scanned and appear online in the museum's files.   Worth a look!

I bought a couple to use as a guide.   I'm going to reproduce some using a letterpress...I hope. I'm no printer and I know it's super labor intensive so should be fun.  Short runs but very unique and authentic  is my goal!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page