The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Log into LINUX from PC  (Read 4256 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »

CAn anyone tell me the most likely way that a user can log into a LINUX workstation from a PC?
I'm guessing remote desktop would not work.
Thanks for any thoughts!
....Dave
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »

IIRC, the X server used in Linux-based OSes uses a different port than Windows Remote Desktop, but I forgot what it is. 

You can always SSH into it via Putty if the command line is sufficient.  I normally do this, as I only log into my remote machines for maintenance purposes.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »

Basically there are two ways.

1) You can simply ssh into the Linux box with a terminal. You get a command prompt and not graphical interface.

2) Graphical desktop. There are several Remote Desktop type methods out there. A lot of technical Linux guys (work for Linux companies) like something called Nomachine.

VE6MB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »

I don't know which flavor of linux you're using, but in addition to the methods previously described, there is another one that would work with the Windows Remote Connection you were talking about.

If you install xrdp then you can use remote desktop function...... I am most familiar with this on Raspberry Pi computers (has a dependency for the package 'tightvncserver')....but I would imagine that you could install this for another linux version.

Good Luck

Valentino, VE6MB
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »

CAn anyone tell me the most likely way that a user can log into a LINUX workstation from a PC?
I'm guessing remote desktop would not work.
Thanks for any thoughts!
....Dave
Try RealVNC:  https://www.realvnc.com/en/

I use it to remote connect from Win10 to Raspbian.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:53:21 PM »

whilst most folks will tell you to use  remote desktop,
while others will tell you to install TeamViewer onto both machines.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/
N3TJO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

I like X2GO:

https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php

73 de N3TJO Tommy
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »

I'm a TeamViewer user.  One thing I like about it is that it's cross-platform; you can install it on a Linux, Windows, or Mac (or even ARM-processor) box and they can all talk to each other.  One thing I don't like is that the free version will randomly disconnect after a few hours with a "Thank you for using the free version of TeamViewer" nag message.  You can simply reconnect, so it's more of an annoyance to motivate you to buy the licensed version (which is expensive).

I've read about, but haven't used, a recent alternative to TeamViewer called "AnyDesk."  It's supposedly written by a former member of TeamViewer, it's lighter weight, and I don't believe it has the "nag" screen disconnect feature.

73 Brian N5BCN
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Check out nomachine. It is cross platform, very lightweight and easy to use.

N3TJO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 04:11:16 AM »

I'm a TeamViewer user.  One thing I like about it is that it's cross-platform; you can install it on a Linux, Windows, or Mac (or even ARM-processor) box and they can all talk to each other.  One thing I don't like is that the free version will randomly disconnect after a few hours with a "Thank you for using the free version of TeamViewer" nag message.  You can simply reconnect, so it's more of an annoyance to motivate you to buy the licensed version (which is expensive).

I use TeamViewer to administer a headless Raspberry PI DV4mini hotspot and it works well. I considered purchasing a license, but with prices starting at  US$49.90/mo I'll stick with the free version.

73 de N3TJO Tommy
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:13:38 AM »

I use TeamViewer to administer a headless Raspberry PI DV4mini hotspot and it works well. I considered purchasing a license, but with prices starting at  US$49.90/mo I'll stick with the free version.

73 de N3TJO Tommy

I stuck with the free version, also.  I sometimes "pre-emptively" disconnect before I do something critical to reset whatever timer they are using.

Overall, it's a great bit of software, but I hate, hate, hate the idea of paying a subscription for software.  Unfortunately, that's the trend these days.  A friend in the software biz told me they make a lot more profit with the subscription model vs the one-time purchase model.

73 Brian N5BCN
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:30:36 AM »

It's a matter of picking which service you want on the Linux machine and starting it.  IIRC, the Raspbian distro has RDC already installed and quite possible started (that is, if you're using a Pi).
KI7PLD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »

What kind of connection do you need?

Telnet?  Will get you logged in.

Native to both windows and *nix. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=telnet+on+windows

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »

What kind of connection do you need?

Telnet?  Will get you logged in.

Native to both windows and *nix. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=telnet+on+windows

Telnet should NEVER be used under ANY circumstances whatsoever.  It was depreciated in favor of SSH years ago.  It is completely text-based and non-secure by definition.  Don't use it.  Angry

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »

Nomachine!   https://www.nomachine.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: