The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Receive Antennas  (Read 15636 times)
N7GCO

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »

I would be helpful if there was a separate category for "Receive Antennas".
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

Which band? Those receive-only questions could possibly be answered in the SWL section?
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:38:47 AM »

Well if you plan on transmitting or receiving you need a antenna. Not sure I follow your logic. 
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »

Plank; Re - Read OM, he gave you the correct answer.
  Receive antennas was your post's topic, nothing said about transmitting antennas.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 06:25:59 AM »

I understand the request and sympathize with the idea.

A "Receive" antenna  (Beverages, etc.) is a special case and deserving attention, but breaking up the current Antenna etc.  forum category further is not without its downside. 

We can think about it!

73 Mike N2MG
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »

Ok maybe I missed something but any antenna you buy or build from a book will receive something hopefully depending on what antenna it is ETC...  I mean throw up something in the air, put up some wire people are writing books on the best antenna designs.  I think the ARRL has a couple of antenna books out on how to make your own.  If all you want to do is receive you have it made you can put up a clothes line, hook your coax to your eve spout ETC... You don't want to TX on that eve spout though.  Lets take a look at the heavier design that will tolerate 1500 watts of power, it will receive just as good (way better than your eve spout)  if used as a receive antenna only and now you have the best of both worlds.  The only difference between a RX only antenna and one you can put some power through is the RX only antenna you can't put some power through it. 

Listen on the air an have fun.   
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »

Look up Beverage antenna
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 05:09:01 AM »

For a lack of space (like most of us), try the FLAG antenna.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »

Some basics on receive antennas:

https://www.w8ji.com/receiving_basics.htm

I think a separate receive antenna category is a fine idea.

Howard
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:05 PM »

Hello Mike and all,

I think a "receive antennas" section would be useful.  As well as the traditional techniques (Beverages etc), there's now considerable additional interest in small, active antennas (loops, whips, ...) for noise reduction, especially in urban areas.

It would be useful to broaden it a little and also give a home to discussions about allied signal processing - RF, analog and digital.  I have in mind various RF phasing schemes, and baseband analog/digital array processing. As time goes on, and digital correlation-based processing becomes more feasible and common, the topic can only expand.

73, Peter.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 05:13:22 PM »

I think a "receive antennas" section would be useful.  As well as the traditional techniques (Beverages etc), there's now considerable additional interest in small, active antennas (loops, whips, ...) for noise reduction, especially in urban areas.

It would be useful to broaden it a little and also give a home to discussions about allied signal processing - RF, analog and digital.  I have in mind various RF phasing schemes, and baseband analog/digital array processing. As time goes on, and digital correlation-based processing becomes more feasible and common, the topic can only expand.

73, Peter.

Whether or not a new forum is created I hope discussions like these do occur.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »

I really do think that a receive antenna forum is in order. It would help amateurs to improve their technology and that is in the spirit of [not to mention the legal definition of] the hobby, no?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »

how does not a length of common wire, preferably strung outdoors, away from power line and digi
  cable noise and an antenna tuner suffice?
  don't think there's all that much to it or much to be
  mystified about to the point of having a forum page for this one topic.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »

how does not a length of common wire, preferably strung outdoors, away from power line and digi
  cable noise and an antenna tuner suffice?
  don't think there's all that much to it or much to be
  mystified about to the point of having a forum page for this one topic.

Noise rejection, ionospheric condition vs takeoff angle, switching of antennas, rotating loop antennas, rotating loop arrays, directional arrays, grounding, HOA restrictions, aesthetics... 

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 01:41:47 AM »

Every October I go to a cabin in Letchworth Park for a week of R&R. It is at the high elevation end of the park during the off-season. The gorge and fall foliage is spectacular. Peace and quiet.  Grin
 I bring a couple of National NC and Hammarlund boatanchors with me for company. A couple of 100' spools of 16ga. stranded copper wire from the auto parts store is cheap and can be strung through the trees. Keep it high so that hunters or hikers won't walk into it by accident. I bring an AC outlet tester to be sure that the wiring and ground at the cabin's outlets are correct. The CFLs come out and I install incandescent bulbs for my stay.
 I can hear things in the countryside that I can't hear in the city. QRM is very low here. It is like fishing, you can never tell what you will pull in next. Longwave reception is outstanding in the wee hours along with coffee and doughnuts.
 I have read the ARRL Antenna, older Radio Amateur handbooks and other SWL tips/hints books. I have tried dual-diversity antennas where one signal may fade and the other picks it up for no loss of reception.
 'How it works' knowledge is useful, but experimentation is the key. Try to keep the longwire high and dry and away from large objects. Try an E-W and N-S orientation to see what works best. The slope or inverted-L may give some omnidirectional coverage. A good ground can be important at the lower frequencies.
 A separate Receive Antennas category may be unnecessary for longwires, loops and Beverages. Your questions or experiences should be welcome in the SWL section. If you are battling noise, the RFI/EMI sections are helpful.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: