The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 880h or should i go with new? another brand?  (Read 4007 times)
VE7REN

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »

ive been wanting to replace an older ic208h I have and use it mainly for talking locally on 2 meter. was contemplating getting something newer to replace it,but I keep wondering why? should I ? get into maybe c4fm by yaesu,or stay icom and try the 1 dtsar repeater here. or should I pass?? I have the opportunity to buy a used ,bought new in march this year from a dealer, icom 880h with everything from new. any thoughts? or should I just keep what I got? I only use the radio for scanning and talking lots of local repeaters...
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »

When given the option, I prefer to have a true dual bander that allows me to receive two frequencies at the same time.  Allows you to monitor a favorite/priority frequency while scanning or working something on the other VFO.  There are a number of radios today that offer that capability, each has subtle advantages or feature differences that are up to the user to decide what works best.

As far as the digital voice mode de jour, I don't consider DStar worth the not-insignificant price of admission.  Yaesu is just starting out with their protocol, and if you compare that to the DStar network after deployment 15 years or so ago, you might be waiting a long time before that reaches any degree of usefulness.  For less than the premium a DStar radio would cost you, you could buy a chinese DMR radio and get a taste of what a digital voice mode has to offer without being tied to a manufacturer-specific protocol.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »

thaks for the reply..

ideally the dual receive is nice,as I own 4 ft8800,and 2 ic 2730,but I was wanting to try the new c4fm or dtar,and maybe aprs,so it was something for me worth asking,but the prices of these new rigs is crazy. I'm going to do some more digging and take more input..
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »

I have had one in my car for about 8 years. I do use RT Systems to program it and highly recommend them. NOT affiliated with them -- just know the value of their stuff from lots of experience. The ID-880H is a great dual band analog rig even if you don't do a lot of D-Star. But we have several D-Star repeaters around here -- little semi rural Ocala, FL -- and D-Star is lots of fun when I travel. Buy a used one for not too much more than a dual band analog rig and you'll have way more than enough fun to justify the little extra cost. NOTE: when I talk cost comparison I'm talking Vs a "real" rig from Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu not Vs the maybe works maybe doesn't Chinese rigs.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »

thanks for the info. I have found a as new used one,last of the bunch from march,and am waiting to get it later this week. ill do comparisons against the ft8800 and the 2730 icom I have. and yes,im not into the offshore Chinese or cheap gear. over!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: