Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK...What's the deal with these bloody IRCs????  (Read 670 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »

I am under the impression that a new style of IRC is ready for circulation that expires at the end of 2013.  I am also under the impression that most QSL mgrs are going to no longer be accepting the ones that expire at the end of this year (12/31/09).  So it was much to my dismay when I went yesterday to the post office to exchange my 12/31/09 IRC for a 12/31/13, that I was told the IRC was still good and that the only ones they had were exactly the same.  WTF???  If the post office is still issuing the 09 IRCs, and QSL Mgrs Won't accept them, this tells me something is quite wrong.  Sounds to me like the post office won't dole out the 13 IRCs without first selling all of the 09s.  Again, WTF??? Can someone shed some light on this situation, as I am quite confused, and I really don't like sending cash through the mail anymore.  Thanks.

Vince P
KA3NRX

P.S. Oh, and before someone suggests contacting the guy who sells the foreign stamps, I already did, and I am currently waiting for a reply.

Double P.S.  This may get posted more than once, as my first attempt gave me a "page cannot be displayed" message on the first attempt. Sorry if that's the case.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »

I'm having the exact same problem with my usually-reliable post office. They won't order any new ones (which will expire at the end of 2012, incidentally, not 2013) until they run out of the old ones. The manager won't order them, in fact, and denied that they even *have* an expiry date. He's an utter loon, of course. After some inquiry and checking on his computer, they've had exactly four IRC sales in the last 5 years -- all of them to me, it would seem.

What I'm doing is using $$ instead, at least until the 2012-series start popping up used from QSL managers.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »

Vince, the new IRCs ARE available. Believe it or not, our little 2 person postal facility got the new ones for me.  I wanted 50, and she ordered 100. She says she knows I will need em. I had a bit of trouble when I first asked for the new ones in August, but finally got her to get on the phone and VOILA!

They like me in the post office, as I have a mail order business that generates a good bit of revenue for them too, so they treat me well.

Good Luck....... They CAN be acquired and acquired NOW, but someone will have to take the time to make a call to whereever they get their stamps, supplies from. 73,  Gene
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »

Yes, the new IRCs are available. I've gotten mine at the nearby post office in Pleasant Hill, CA. The clerks at other post offices in my area tend to give me a blank look when I ask for them. Also, I've learned that post offices in areas with a large middle-class immigrant population tend to keep IRCs on hand. A clerk at a post office near Silicon Valley told me he'd sold a large number of IRCs to an Indian family sending wedding invitations to family and friends back in the old country.

Be sure that any IRCs you buy are the new ones. I was once given half a dozen IRCs that had expired a couple of years earlier. Of course they were replaced when I took them back to the post office. Also, make sure the clerk stamps the IRC on the left side. The IRC is worthless without the postmark stamp.

Dave
N6ORB
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »

Dave, a correction on your last post. They are not "worthless" if they are not stamped on the left side; the left-side postmark is optional, though most issuing clerks will stamp them. What is critical, though, is that they NOT stamp the right-hand box. Once the right-hand box is stamped the coupon is worthless. Stamping that box indicates that the IRC has been redeemed for postage, much like a stamp with a postmark over it.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »

It appears as if the new "Nairobi" series IRCs are, in fact, good until 31 December 2013 and not 2012 as I'd earlier believed. This gives the new one a four-plus year lifespan instead of three as it was for the last two cycles.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
AB0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »

Folks -

Like Gene, AF3Y said - it's all down to the post office you visit and the clerk that you speak to...  I'm in the big bad city of Houston and visit #1 to my local post office got me nowhere.  So, I waited for a new shift, went back and - smooth as silk - another clerk exchanged my remaining 15 IRC's for brand new ones.

Mni 73 de David, AB0Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: