Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXpeditions experts plz read  (Read 1260 times)
9K2AI

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »

I would like to welcome everyone, especially DXpeditions experts and I would like to open a debate about the DXpeditions to exchange information with the utmost accuracy and very needs to do the best DXpeditions trip to an uninhabited area or a viable weak Live, What we would like to know is before the DXpeditions What we need and what we have to do and where to get what we need before the DXpeditions and before we move to our destination and have a perfect DXpeditions :

1- Equipment ( Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu )
2- Antennas ( Titanex, Spiderbeam, Yagi Antennas, Verticals Antennas, Dipoles....est. )
3- Accessories ( COMTEK, WX0B, Heil Sound....est. )
4- Amplifier ( Ameritron,Commander, Acom....est. )
5- Power Generators for each station A. 100 watts station with 3 lamps 40 watts 1 labtop...est. B. 1000 watts station with 3 lamps 40 watts 1 labtop ...est. ( Robin, Honda ...est. ) And transport and storage of fuel in a safe
6- Safe electrical connections between the station and the Power Generators
7- Accommodation ( Tents, Shelters, Hotels....est. )
8- Living necessities ( Food, water and proper storage )
9- First aid and immunizations
10- Things you think are necessary for the DXpeditions

I hope your participation in this debate and accept my best regards,

Ahmad
9K2AI, A92GQ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »

Just a few ideas to consider based on a couple of holiday-style operations and seeing what's worked for many other good operations in the last few years:

1) Whatever radios the operators know how to use without needing to rely on manuals, or by not knowing the radio, miss out on some critical filters that could increase his QSO rates. Elecraft K3 and Icom IC-7000 radios are often used with great success.

2) Vertical Dipole arrays if going to a salt-water beachfront location will beat everything else you can think of, including yagis. 4-squares for 40 and 80 and a vertical-over-salt-water for 160. Dedicated low-band receive antennas (K9AY loops, pennants, etc) to help hear weak signals in high-QRN locations.

3) For accessories, I would start with a MicroHam MicroKeyer for each operating position, HEIL active noise canceling headsets and stubs and ICE filters to prevent inter-station QRM and desense.

4) Bring as much TX power as is legally allowed and that your weight allotment, generators and available fuel can handle. The best DXpeditions rely on being loud everywhere. Antennas first, amps second. Bring along the most forgiving amps and always have at least one spare, if not more.

Bring at least one or two spare laptops. Settle on simple and robust logging software and test it out thoroughly before you leave. In fact, my recommendation would be to create user accounts on each laptop for the DXpedition and only load the software that you will use while operating. If you can, bring along networking equipment so all your computers can talk to each other; it makes logging much more reliable, and if you have a failure, your log is still safe on the other computers.

BUT, I'm going to suggest something not on your list -- the two MOST important things you can bring on a DXpedition are completely free and absolutely essential. The first is experience in operating pileups in CW, SSB and RTTY. When you're at a QTH that is in high-demand is NOT the time to have novice operators learning on the go. If you do bring a novice, let him operate in periods of lower demand and on the secondary bands (10/12/15/30m) instead of the principal "high-demand" bands (20, 17, 40, 80 and 160). Put your absolutely-best ops on 40m for shifts that will cover Europe and North America during their darkness periods.

The second thing to bring is knowledge of propagation and grey-line, and use all available charts to show when to be on which bands--and update this during the DXpedition based on demand and success (or failure). Only a handful of Zone 5s (east-coast NA)? Give 'em some extra attention! You have 3 areas of the world to service: North America (east and west coasts have very different propagation), Japan and Europe. Two of these will be easy, one will be hard. Whichever one is the hardest to work from your destination, give them top priority on each band for the few hours a day there is propagation. Make everyone else stand by when you're working the targeted areas and don't be afraid to N.I.L. the troublemakers.

You can have a memorable and well-regarded DXpedition with minimal equipment, strong operator skills and good, simple antennas -- the Microlite Penguins do it all the time and have wonderful success. By the same token, you can have a nightmare operation with the best hardware money can buy and operators who have no knowledge of propagation or experience in massive pileups.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
9K2AI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:35:37 AM »

Peter Thank you very much I really appreciate what you wrote and it is very very important.

Hope To hear from others.

73's
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »

Hello, Ahmad !

I have a suggestion for your group to get some DXpedition practice for minimum expense.  There are some very active operators in 9K but I still need 9K on 160 and 30 meters.  I see that you have a Bahrain call as well.  I need Bahrain on CW, RTTY, and all bands except 20-meters.

Why not have an activity in Bahrain with several operators on for 10 days (two weekends) for 24-hours a day like it was a DXpedition?  Please operate all modes and bands.

Several years ago, a group of Thai amateurs went on DXpedition to Cambodia.  Now, I have more bands/modes for Cambodia than I do for Thailand!  They had a good DXpedition but could have made as many happy from home.

Of course it's fun to travel but I just wanted to suggest having your DXpedition to Bahrain.

Wade  AA8LL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: