The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on PVC supporting Magnetic Loop  (Read 2361 times)
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:53 AM »

Thanks guys for your input on the info about the DXE magnetic loop.  I guess I forgot to tell you it will be about 20 to 25 ft abv. gnd. just above my TV antenna I use for on the air TV.  This is the West end of the roof on my house.  I live in the dessert of Mesa, AZ so I also wondered about ground conductivity effect performance on the loop.  I'm sure I could just mount it low to the ground but this is really the best place for it, up in the air, out of the way. 
     Thanks Peter for informing me.  I've also did some research and got info on how to test the PVC's conductivity.  CPVC has content of metel particles in the elements for making it.  But regular sked. 40 PVC an no metel particles in it.  The proof is to take a sample of PVC and place it in microwave oven for 30 seconds with a bowel of water for the load.  If it's warm of hot, it has metel particles in it but if it's cool it has none.  And a very good insulator for supporting the loop to the top. 
      Once again thanks.  73  Ronny  KG7A. 

Ronny, not sure if it was already mentioned or not but be sure to paint the PVC in order to protect it from UV if it will be installed for a substantial amount of time. The portable magnetic loop antenna which my company sells is supplied with a knockdown mount which is made from 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and it works well and is durable but not painted because the antenna is meant for temporary (not months nor years) outdoor and mostly indoor use.

Ronny, not sure if it was mentioned or not but be sure to paint the PVC so as to protect it from UV if it will be installed for a substantial
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

Isn't there any wind where you guys live? My 1-meter diameter loop is mounted on about 18 feet of 50-mm Schedule 80 PVC. Before I added 3 rope guys it would bend much too far in a normal 25 mph breeze.

Steve in Okinawa
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »

Steve, you might have missed the earlier dialogue re searching for the best height .  My loop is only about 1 loop diameter above ground, and the PVC mast section is only about 0.5m long, the associated rotator being attached to a galvanized water pipe of similar length above ground..  Mast/loop attachments are via PVC plumbing fittings.  Even with Perth gales, there's no issue.

73, Peter.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:58:56 PM by VK6HP » Logged
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 06:10:14 PM »

Steve, you might have missed the earlier dialogue re searching for the best height .  My loop is only about 1 loop diameter above ground, and the PVC mast section is only about 0.5m long, the associated rotator being attached to a galvanized water pipe of similar length above ground..  Mast/loop attachments are via PVC plumbing fittings.  Even with Perth gales, there's no issue.

73, Peter.

OK, I guess I read everything too fast, and just caught one poster's 1-1/2 inch diameter and another's 20-25 feet! I can't get any decent supply of aluminum tube here so I have has much experience with PVC as masts and antenna parts, and not much of it has been good.

A loop that works well one foot above a garden bed has me intrigued. I am striving for a low-noise receiving loop for 40 meters.

73 from Okinawa
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: