Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iambic keying: pros and cons?  (Read 4647 times)
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »

Can a single-paddle fist be retrained to do iambic?

No. A single lever will not do iambic keying.

Everyone has a personal preference with keys. Everyone likes something different. You can own several before settling on one you really like. You can spend a LOT or a more reasonable amount for a decent key.

In my opinion, a single lever key is a good way to go. I make less mistakes with a single lever key than an iambic key.
I agree that there is not that much to gain with an iambic key. Many people use an iambic key more like a single lever key, I usually do.
I have my share of keys, Vibroplex Iambic deluxe, an iambic touch key, an iambic Hamco Scotia (Brass Racer), an Autronic single lever, and a couple others. They all have different characteristics. My favorites are the Hamco Scotia I have had for many years and the Autronic single lever is quickly gaining on it.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

Hi,
I am just making a transit from a normal key to an iambic key...  I do make more errors as of today, but the number of errors is going down fast...  So yes...  It is possible...  I rather like the iambic paddle and Keyer now...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »

Welcome back.
I taught CW in the Army in the 60s although I never considered myself much of a CW op. I got my Novice class which of course was all CW in the mid 70s and played a couple of years and went inactive until about 11 years ago I guess.
I too was all straight key as that is all I ever saw in the Army.
But when I got active again I wanted to try "going sideways" as I put it. It's a strange feeling but I find it less fatiguing than the straight key.
I do have both today however.
Paddle preference? It's a matter of feel for most. Don't spend a lot of money on a set of paddles. Get something to learn with and if you like it then you can play around with the more expensive paddles.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: