The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we missing out on slow speed CW on 30m?  (Read 6567 times)
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »

While were at it W3TTT and KC8Y would you also please advocate for a speed limit on data modes? FT8...

EEE - If you want to copy packet or PSK by EAR, then, yes - I would want the sender to go slowish.  However, PSK, FT8 and other data modes are interpreted by COMPUTER, so like I said, I type at 70+ words per minute and if I wanted to go fast, it would be on a computer. 

However, if you want "be that way", go ahead.  Only thing, if I hear you and come back to your CQ at my speed, will you slow down?

I will come back to any CW CQ at any speed with DE W3TTT QRS PSE.  If the other OP answers, and slows down, good,  otherwise, I spin the big knob. 

Sorta like asking a girl if she wants to kiss, before you go ahead and kiss her.  Sorta. I would like people to send CQ at 12 wpm, then after contact is made ask if QRQ?  Kiss then ask, or ask and then kiss?

W3HR

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 05:35:48 AM »

I've heard the phrase "Life's too short for QRP"... is there a corollary "Life's too short for slow code"?

The good thing is, slow code is temporary.  It's the only thing you lose by using it.

Without CW, it's just CB.
N1GDO

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2017, 04:53:20 AM »

This thread gives me more confidence to call CQ or answer someone a bit faster than myself.
New to CW...do mostly Digital modes but pulled out an old MFJ paddle I had and have been trying to get on CW every day.
There is a ton of noise in my shack.  Always S9 or close so it makes it tough to get a clean CW signal I can copy.
Was taught receive only in the Army 50+ years ago so I am an anomaly in that I receive faster than I can send (around 13 - 15wpm).
If you see me out there give a call and please be patient!

frank
N1GDO
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2017, 03:09:54 PM »

I, like others do like to go a little slower when it comes to CW. Seems like the entire world is in a hurry and must go faster and faster so that their score isn't impeded.

Whenever I hear someone calling CQ I try to answer them at their speed, provided they can hear my 5 watt 30m signal. BTW, I heard N1GDO on 30 this morning. I called him but the band conditions were not good enough to make a contact.

WB0CJB
MI6OTW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2017, 04:53:11 AM »

Hello all.
I also use cw only and cant  beat that 18 wpm wall for now.   I also find it difficult to make a call on most of the qrp watering holes due to contests or other high powered stations. Most of my free time is on a Sunday when I'm off work but most Sundays a contest tends to be on so no go on my favorite band of 40 metres.
I do also use 30 mtrs and have noticed very few stations that match my speed. I have also in the past answered calls from slower cw ops and enjoy helping as that's how I improved on the key.
Today I made contact with my first cw station since August as I got just fed up with radio. Now got the bug again.
New call sign now and need to update eham profile.
2I0 OTW.
Merry Christmas
Paul. 

New licence 2I0OTW
HB9FXW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »

I'm often on 30m, and between 13 and 20 wpm depending on the key and mood. 30m is my favorite band, as 40 is too crowded and 20 too dependant on the sun. WARC bands being contests-free is a big bonus too.

I will gladly match your speed so don't hesitate to answer me even if I call CQ at a speed in my higher range.

Seiuchy, free morse QSO quiz and simulator
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: