"Bizarre, Lucrative world of 'unboxing' videos"

(1/7) > >>

Jeff:
"Welcome to the world of "unboxing videos," one of the many peculiar genres on YouTube, the Google-owned video hosting site where viewers watch more than 6 billion hours of video every month. The volume of unboxing videos has boomed in recent years. Easy to make and surprisingly hypnotic to watch, the videos have become a lucrative little corner of the Internet for the people who film them.

The most popular unboxings are for expensive gadgets, like the iPhone, Xbox and PlayStation consoles. Competition for these views is fierce. " "Since 2010, the number of YouTube clips with "unboxing" in the headline has increased 871%."

Who knew these videos were so wildly popular? Why do so many watch these including hams. But after watching that Australian ham here unbox his spanking new IC-7610, I didn't want one anymore.  With these videos you can get some of the fun of acquiring a new possession... but for free. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/web/youtube-unboxing-videos/index.html

james baxter:
There must be something wrong with me.  I don't enjoy watching unboxing videos.  Include you one for the 7610.  I get zero vicarious pleasure watching the unboxing.  Absolutely zero. Like I said, there is something different about me. 

Vince Wilkins:
Quote from: K0UA on November 26, 2017, 07:48:24 AM

There must be something wrong with me.  I don't enjoy watching unboxing videos.  Include you one for the 7610.  I get zero vicarious pleasure watching the unboxing.  Absolutely zero. Like I said, there is something different about me. 

Me too, this type of video does nothing for me.

Peter Gant:
Yet over on the EEVBlog the Mailbox section is the most popular by a long way. Thousands of people watching an Australian guy opening his mail, go figure.

I'd rather see a good teardown or a weird fault that requires some diagnostic skill, but that's just me.

Peter DL8OV

Jeff:
This electronics semi-unboxing by Fran Blanche has > 250,000 views.

"The NIMO Tube: Rarest And Most Dangerous Digital Display Of All Time." I'd never heard of Fran and her FranLab. She must be some YT Maker star. You're definitely a techie if you sit thru this. But several viewers comment on how cute she is.

Fran, excitedly: "I've been working on this project FOR WEEKS"

Cameraman, roll the high voltage. Cue the excitement! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWg7CtN0Ac&feature=youtu.be&t=2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page