Ham radio ranks #2 on list of hobbies for men

(1/4) > >>

joseph cotton:
This is from the podcast The Art of Manliness. 
The Ultimate List of Hobbies for Men: 75+ Ideas For Your Free Time

#1 Reading
#2 Ham Radio

Looking to be a part of a tight-knit community with a focus on radio and communication? Look no further than ham radio. While the internet has taken radio’s place as the dominant form of communication, a vibrant community of amateur radio enthusiasts still exists. Radio hobbyists enjoy communicating directly with people from all over the world while expanding their knowledge of radio theory. In addition, most ham radio operators provide a public service to their communities by acting as relays in the event of emergencies or natural disasters. Radio operation is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission, so you’ll have to be licensed to use a radio. Licensing isn’t difficult at all — you just have to take a multiple choice test that covers basic regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory. And of course you’ll need the equipment. Buying new will set you back a pretty penny, but you can find good deals on used radio equipment on eBay. For more info about getting started with ham radio, check out the 100-year-old Amateur Radio Relay League.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/01/25/the-ultimate-list-of-hobbies-for-men-75-ideas-for-your-free-time/?mc_cid=96027eefec&mc_eid=419784bace

And I have to add that the friendship and fellowship between friends is an important aspect of the hobby.  It's better than stamp collecting or ships in the bottle.

73, Joe W3TTT

Jeffrey Walden:
For men of a certain age?

Mike:
Somehow I doubt whether "manly" men tune into podcasts that tell them what manly men do.

If a man needs to be told I suspect he's well into senile dementia.

Also when did reading become a "hobby?" You mean like eating or breathing are hobbies?

RadioRay:
Yes - reading for reasons other than necessity, for example would indeed be a hobby.  Reading traffic signs during the commute to or contracts at work is certainly not the same as recreational reading.  

Webster's dictionary: "Hobby...a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation..." (or a small, blue falcon (15th century English)) I like falcons, but I am old now and can't eat a whole one at one sitting.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._

:
Rats!  Wrong again.  I thought for sure "chasing women" would come in as #!! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page