The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Activity on 40 meters CW in Northern NJ  (Read 2731 times)
K2PHD

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »

Since my retirement I have been looking for something to challange my mind and body. QRP CW operation, along with RACES/ARES and traffic handling was what I chose. I am new to 40 meter QRP CW operation (although was a commercial radiotelegraph operator years ago) and as such have recently acquired an MFJ-9040 transceiver. Would like to find out who might be on the air in northern NJ that I might hear and be able to work and ask questions about QRPing. Also like to know best times to operate in my location.

73, Doc - K2PHD
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »

Doc, 90% of what you need to know is in the books dedicated to QRP and listening is the best way to determine the best time to operate.

The best time to operate varies so much that all you'll get here are generalities that for all practical purposes will be meaningless.

The activity you are choosing is indeed challenging!  I hope you have some fun.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »

Doc.  Welcome to the wonderful world of QRP !  I am in central Maryland and spend quite a bit of time on 40 meters.  You will find lots of activity on 40 meters at any given time of day from your location.  In the very early morning hours (around sunrise) you will find DX openings to Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.  During mid morning to mid afternoon you will find local activity within a few hundred miles.  During the late afternoon and evening you will find DX openings to Europe.  These times will vary a bit with time of year so just start tuning around and listening and you will quickly figure out the propagation patterns.  You should be able to make plenty of CW contacts with 5 watts and a decent dipole antenna.  Have fun !  -Joe N3HEE

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:30:36 AM by N3HEE » Logged

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

Doc ...

For NJ QRP doings, check out W2LJ Larry's Blog Page at ...
http://w2lj.blogspot.com/

QTH is South Plainfield and member of South Plainfield Club (QRP Field Day for 2017)
and runs annual NJQRP Skeeter Hunt (August 2017)

73 de WA2ONH   ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"   Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: