The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skcc acceptable key?  (Read 2971 times)
KENNETH

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:56:08 AM »

"etiquette" question regarding the exchange of SKCC numbers.

"All SKCC-related activities, events, sprints, and awards, or any CQs seeking contacts within the scope of these activities, must be performed entirely with SKCC-accepted devices that do not rely on electronics to form or space CW characters or weight their elements"

"Accepted keys for SKCC activities are the straight key, semi-automatic key, and side-swiper only, as commonly defined"

But is a cootie key or sideswiper wired as a regular paddle acceptable? With a simple stereo to mono adapter,  you can switch back and forth from a classic paddle to a cootie quickly and easily. I assume no, correct? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:01:05 AM by KENNETH » Logged
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »

The point about SKCC is to celebrate and master the traditional skills of telegraphy. I'm a member.

One of the more admired traditional skills of telegraphy is making the characters, weighting, timing and spacing them
by hand  (and mind) so that they are very clear and well-crafted. This can be a very enjoyable task and not everyone
can do it well.

An electronic device, a keyer, which automatically makes many choices for you is not the same thing.

Thus a cootie or sideswiper switching a keyer is not really a traditional device.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »

Re. switching keys:   I made a junction box with extension cord that connects to the radio.  The box is mounted to my desk/shelves and has 1/4" and 1/8" jacks.  I can easily swap keys without having to getting behind the desk or dragging radios and cables out of position.

I strongly recommend replacing all mono plugs with stereo (3 conductor) plugs for commonality among all radios.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »

My routine key is a Lionel J-36 set up to be a side-ways straight key.
   As long as the bug function is is disengaged I don't see any problem.
   When I first started out I had to use a Touch Tapper key. I had carpal tunnel symptoms, turned out to be my back.
   Physical maladies allow exceptions to using a standard straight key as far as I have read in their guidelines.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »

As long as the bug function is is disengaged I don't see any problem...
   Physical maladies allow exceptions to using a standard straight key as far as I have read in their guidelines.

SKCC considers bugs to be the same as straight keys and sideswipers--essentially manual keys.

Yes using keyers when there are physical problems is acceptable. It's completely up to the SKCC member.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »

A paddle by itself is a mechanical key.  It can be wired and used as a cootie.  No electronic keyer required.  However, the same paddle wired as a cootie, can be connected to an electronic keyer in bug mode and still act as a mechanical cootie key.  Manual dits and dahs.  I do that with my Begali HST.

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »

The same paddle wired as a cootie, can be connected to an electronic keyer in bug mode and still act as a mechanical cootie key.

Almost the same, but not quite. The dit and dah length and spacing is not manual. Yes, on occasion I use a keyer in bug mode. No, it still doesn't feel like true artistic freedom.  Grin
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »

I agree about true bug mode.  The dits are made by the keyer.

I was talking about jumpering a single lever paddle to act a cootie and connecting it to an electronic keyer in bug mode. In that case everything is manual.  The electronic keyer thinks it has a straight key connected to it. 

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »

I was talking about jumpering a single lever paddle to act a cootie and connecting it to an electronic keyer in bug mode.

Heh! I get it now. You de-automaticize the automatic.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: