The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590SG or IC-7300 in the long Term?  (Read 9806 times)
N6MWA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »

Thousands of dollars of test equipment and engineering time probably does not mean anything.

The problem is lab test in controlled conditions does not directly correlate to real world and it cannot quantify how it sounds to your ear.

Thank you for setting me straight. I was simply unaware that $2.00 worth of coffee and a subjective analysis of the performance of HF radios was superior or equal to thousands of man hours of engineering. With this new information I will be confident in my ability to wisely choose my next HF radio.
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »

Todd go with the IC-7300, or the IC-7610 if you can swing it.  Both very very nice radios, great audio and wonderful bandscopes.
As an SDR with knobs, both are user friendly.

Good luck,

Earl
AB9TX
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »

Thousands of dollars of test equipment and engineering time probably does not mean anything.

The problem is lab test in controlled conditions does not directly correlate to real world and it cannot quantify how it sounds to your ear.

Thank you for setting me straight. I was simply unaware that $2.00 worth of coffee and a subjective analysis of the performance of HF radios was superior or equal to thousands of man hours of engineering. With this new information I will be confident in my ability to wisely choose my next HF radio.

This reminds of what a horse trainer once told me. He said he can train horse to do what he wanted in his environment but could not guarantee how it would listen to its owner or in their environment. Same with a radio test in that it is done in highly CONTROLLED conditions, not on your desk. Nor does the test remotely begin to quantify how it sounds to your ear! You could just blindly take Sherwood tests as the gospel on choosing a rig or you can do it the proper way with strongly weighing hands on performance and how it sounds to YOUR ear moreso than Sherwood ratings. So you can be sarcastic and closed minded like post above or open minded and realize that there is far more to a rig than Sherwood ratings.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N6MWA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »

This reminds of what a horse trainer once told me. He said he can train horse to do what he wanted in his environment but could not guarantee how it would listen to its owner or in their environment. Same with a radio test in that it is done in highly CONTROLLED conditions, not on your desk. Nor does the test remotely begin to quantify how it sounds to your ear! You could just blindly take Sherwood tests as the gospel on choosing a rig or you can do it the proper way with strongly weighing hands on performance and how it sounds to YOUR ear moreso than Sherwood ratings. So you can be sarcastic and closed minded like post above or open minded and realize that there is far more to a rig than Sherwood ratings.

Who is being closed minded and sarcastic? Just thanking you for the sage advise in selecting HF transceivers.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »

Hi

I have a IC7300, and had a TS590S .

Yes I am going to give my 2 cts of powder coffee and skimmed milk.

I am much more an antenna builder and designer as an electronics guy.

First of all the Sherwood numbers could be interpreted a lot better if you carefully listen to his presentations on his website.

And in his presentations he is very clear that the audio on the ears also has big influences.
He also states very clearly that he had his some rigs on the bench that gave him "listening fatigue" due to the bad audio quality these rigs produced.

Now going back to the subject, the IC7300 or TS590SG in the long term.
Both rigs are very different from looks and technical set-up and design.

Lets be very simple , some guys love blonds, others love brunettes, and some love redheads.
Choose the rig which makes you comfortable operating it.

In testing at our camping site during our yearly ham event we came to the conclusion that the TS590S was better in handling very strong singnals coming from very close and nearby stations on the camping, as the IC7300.

If I hear contesting I am making use of the on/off button to leave the bands to those whome like contesting. 
At home I am having troubles with awfully high QRM levels, quality of the reciever is not that important at all here, can it cope with these noise levels.

As i already build my own TX/RX antenna switches and noise canceler years ago , how many antenna ports a rig has isn't important at all for me.
I also build my own el-bugs so how many CW keys a rig can take also not important, solved these problems long ago.
Does it have USB ports or IP ports , i do not mind, I need a single antenna port , a single CW key port and TX ground and a jack for an external speaker.

Personally i think though these rigs differ wildly, in average performance they are very close.
I think the TS590S or SG will be a bit better in handling real strong signals, and more important for me I like the CW RX audio of the IC7300 a lot better as the CW RX audio of the TS590S.

All in all both rigs belong to the top of their priceclass, both are fine rigs.

73 Jos
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »

Thanks Jos, nice review. To clarify, you find the CW RX audio of the IC7300 better than the CW RX audio of the TS590S? I was expecting you to say the CW receive audio is better on the 590. Interesting.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: