The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YOUKITS COMPUTER COMPATIABLE?!  (Read 2454 times)
KD8GLK

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »

Attention all ham operators that are way smarter than I am.  Grin

I would  like to send and receive CW only through my PC using the keyboard instead of paddles or a straight key.
I am looking for a simple, compact, inexpensive  no frills CW 40M band rig that won't cost a 2nd mortgage to own.   
I want to be able use software programs such as CwGet & CwType or any other software programs that you might recommend using.
Is the Youkits SK-1A 40M single band SSB CW Transceiver, able to be hooked up to a computer?

Your help and expertise is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Carl

KD8GLK

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »

Youkits no.

SDR Cube and Softrock rigs yes.
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »

After checking out that rig online it looks like it will work. In order to use computer CW keying the radio must have straight key accessibility. The YouKit radio has a combo paddle/key jack which is perfect. Changing between the two input keying types is in the menu somewhere. You might need to attenuate the radios audio before it enters your computers sound card. It could be too "hot".............I fooled around CwGet an number of years ago but was not impressed. Ditto with all of the other CW decoders.

You will also need a cable from your computer to the CW input on the YouKit radio. These days it's usually a USB to 1/8" (or 1/4") male plug. The best one's going are WinKey. Most major contesting programs are WinKey compatible. N1MM, WriteLog, N3FJP, Win-Test, etc. I don't know if CwType is or not.

Tom KC0W

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:14:04 PM by KC0W » Logged
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:11:21 PM »

Youkits no.

Why not?

The only necessities for CwGet/CwType are a way of keying the radio (which this radio obviously has) & audio output which this radio also has.

Tom KC0W
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »

Why not?

Tom KC0W

I was thinking in terms of more complete computer/rig compatibility and a certain level of software sophistication.

I wonder whether the poster's original idea would be practical or even interesting.

KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »

I was thinking in terms of more complete computer/rig compatibility and a certain level of software sophistication.

I wonder whether the poster's original idea would be practical or even interesting.

Huh??  Huh

Did you even look at what the YouKit SK-1A 40M radio consists of? The only way of giving this particular radio more "computer/rig compatibility" would be if it had a USB or DB9 port for radio control............It dosen't.

If his idea is unpractical & uninteresting there are thousands (tens of thousands?) of people who use computer keying/CW decoding who would probably disagree.

Tom KC0W          
KD8GLK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »

Thank you, Tom!

Smiley

If his idea is unpractical & uninteresting there are thousands (tens of thousands?) of people who use computer keying/CW decoding who would probably disagree.

Tom KC0W          
[/quote]
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »

Take a look at QCX QRP you can't beat that for value. You can key that. It even has a CW decoder built in -- of course that'll only work on strong steady signals. But like Tom said if you are looking for an audio jack etc you should be looking for keying the TX instead. 73

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »

Did you even look at what the YouKit SK-1A 40M radio consists of? The only way of giving this particular radio more "computer/rig compatibility" would be if it had a USB or DB9 port for radio control............It dosen't.

If his idea is unpractical & uninteresting there are thousands (tens of thousands?) of people...

Tom KC0W          

Kindly reread what I wrote. I suggested rigs that have USB or other radio control ports. This I suggested in contrast
to the Youkits rig which obviously does not.

Your evidence for the numbers of people who use computer keying and decoding?

I don't think computer CW is much fun. I wonder if anyone does.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »

Absolutely they do, and I think Tom can verify that clearly a certain percentage of chasers of CW DXCC are using DCW. Tom would be better placed than most of us in the recent times, to put a guess on the number of such DCW stations in the pile ups.

I'm going to take a guess at as much as 5 percent, but I hope I'm wrong and that it is much lower than that. I'd hope it is much less than 1 percent. They cause terrible problems in pile ups. They are not able to QSK properly (since typing is ahead and can't stop mid-letter), they have slow response times, they need numerous repeats, and sometimes I think they are even using mobile/remote internet lag methods.

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 12:26:48 AM »

Absolutely they do, and I think Tom can verify that clearly a certain percentage of chasers of CW DXCC are using DCW. Tom would be better placed than most of us in the recent times, to put a guess on the number of such DCW stations in the pile ups.

I'm going to take a guess at as much as 5 percent, but I hope I'm wrong and that it is much lower than that. I'd hope it is much less than 1 percent. They cause terrible problems in pile ups. They are not able to QSK properly (since typing is ahead and can't stop mid-letter), they have slow response times, they need numerous repeats, and sometimes I think they are even using mobile/remote internet lag methods.

In DX pileups I would think its closer to 20%.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 12:39:04 AM »

If it really is 20% then no wonder pile ups are so wide and such a complete disaster. Tom, what do you estimate?

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »

If it really is 20% then no wonder pile ups are so wide and such a complete disaster.

Somehow I identify the experience of pileups like I do gridlock on the freeway.

Of course I have been aware that much of the pileup ugliness is digitially-generated.

I hadn't thought of that aspect of operating as being evidence of how much digital CW pervades the mode.

When the freeway is a parking lot, I find being in a car to be very unpleasant. So I studiously avoid.

Thus also the pileup.

The digital invasion of ever-more aspects of life certainly have made life much more lively!  Grin Angry

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:55 AM »

Good comparison  Smiley well I'm not sure about the digital revolution, kids now sleep with their phones at their side, it's often the last thing I check and night and the first thing in the morning. We did well before it all, we got a lot of exercise going to distant friends taking a chance if they were in or not.... parents did not know exactly where we were but we still generally did OK.

There are of course the time tested methods of breaking through the pile up and perhaps fewer are applying them with skill, but what makes it harder for the DX is the fact that all tones now sound the same! When I had my DX-100U it had a lovely chirp, just enough to be noticed, and was always first to be picked out of pile ups. It's a wonder DXCC chasers haven't thought of introducing a little chirp, though it is not an easy thing to do on a modern rig.

N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 05:24:58 AM »

Any radio with a key jack can easily be keyed by a computer.  CW decoders do a pretty poor job of copying hand sent code.  They do much better with computer or machine sent code.   Lots of older hams use a keyboard to send CW.  I use a keyboard to send CW when I want to have a QSO over 30 WPM. 

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: