The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading to General license and test..  (Read 3694 times)
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »

Sorry, but real life doesnt work that way, and if/when you get around to setting up a real station and dealing with real technical problems, the "I memorized the test answers" will come back to bite you HARD...

Yes, getting an extra license isn't like graduating with a BSEE.  But having memorized and remembered answers well enough to pass the tests should at least clue you in when there is a technical issue with your station, and to ask ham friends for help if you're baffled.  Vs a CBer who wouldn't know to be aware that his illegal linear is splattering the entire HF spectrum...  

Oh, and when you sit for your general, assuming you pass it, try the extra while you're at that test session.  Usually it won't cast any extra  Grin and who knows, you might pass it.  And if not, you'd know what to expect nest time.  

Yes, theory  wont help you much with Rules and Regulations ( unless you want to read the FCC minutes and try to figure out what they're thinking , I dont know anybody that wants to do that !) .Q and A is the best way to learn the R & R. And thats a major part of Amateur Radio.

Reading and understanding the theory will give you a deeper understanding of how to deal with situations that arent covered in the question pool .

For anyone taking the extra I would encourage them to read the ARRL Handbook chapters on basic circuit elements , basic antennas , and transmission lines. You dont necessarily have to read the whole chapter . If you can understand the basics you'll be ahead of the game . If your going to do any real operating , you'll use it .

Now go get that Extra. You feel a lot better when you do. GL.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: