The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading to General license and test..  (Read 14302 times)
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »

Sorry, but real life doesnt work that way, and if/when you get around to setting up a real station and dealing with real technical problems, the "I memorized the test answers" will come back to bite you HARD...

Yes, getting an extra license isn't like graduating with a BSEE.  But having memorized and remembered answers well enough to pass the tests should at least clue you in when there is a technical issue with your station, and to ask ham friends for help if you're baffled.  Vs a CBer who wouldn't know to be aware that his illegal linear is splattering the entire HF spectrum...  

Oh, and when you sit for your general, assuming you pass it, try the extra while you're at that test session.  Usually it won't cast any extra  Grin and who knows, you might pass it.  And if not, you'd know what to expect nest time.  

Yes, theory  wont help you much with Rules and Regulations ( unless you want to read the FCC minutes and try to figure out what they're thinking , I dont know anybody that wants to do that !) .Q and A is the best way to learn the R & R. And thats a major part of Amateur Radio.

Reading and understanding the theory will give you a deeper understanding of how to deal with situations that arent covered in the question pool .

For anyone taking the extra I would encourage them to read the ARRL Handbook chapters on basic circuit elements , basic antennas , and transmission lines. You dont necessarily have to read the whole chapter . If you can understand the basics you'll be ahead of the game . If your going to do any real operating , you'll use it .

Now go get that Extra. You feel a lot better when you do. GL.
KC1BPU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »

Took the General on the 11th..  today is the 30th and no license upgrade.    I get a call from ARRL today to tell me that our VE's gave us the wrong paperwork to fill out on the day of the exam.

Nice..   it has to be resubmitted to the FCC.  Aside from that.. I have already bought the book and started studying for the Extra.  and although it is not required.. I like the idea of learning CW code.

Bob
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »

Took the General on the 11th..  today is the 30th and no license upgrade.    I get a call from ARRL today to tell me that our VE's gave us the wrong paperwork to fill out on the day of the exam.

They gave you a 605 without the felony question, I'm guessing.
KC1BPU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:57 AM »

That's exactly what happened...  I was surprised to see that the FCC posted the upgrade that very afternoon after signing the correct form.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »

I did well with hamstudy.org.  They have the answers and explanations to the answers for those questions you " just don't get"...
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 07:14:11 PM »

That's exactly what happened...  I was surprised to see that the FCC posted the upgrade that very afternoon after signing the correct form.

That's because there was no actual involvement of the FCC other than hosting the computer.

VECs (like ARRL and W5YI) can directly log into the FCC computers and enter license transactions. These take effect almost immediately, likely after a very rudimentary quality check. So no FCC employees have to do anything.

Since this was a mistake by an ARRL VE team, ARRL VEC apparently fast-tracked the re-processing of your 605.
KF5NAJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »

HamTestOnline is the most efficient way to get your license
I used it for my Tech and General and past both at the same time, missed 2 questions took 45 days start to finish. If you follow the instructions you will pass no problem. Avoid the temptation to only take practice exams to learn the material.
Avoid being a 5 yr Tech

I just signed up for the Extra Class and hope to be able to take the test in the next month or two.

The people are very helpful. I have recommended HamTestOnline to several people and they all were able to get there license or upgrade within a few months
There are lots of ways to get your license or upgrade but this is the best way
Go to their website to see all they offer, their program is well thought out.
George KF5NAJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: