The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: -29 C / -20.2 F in my QTH this morning.  (Read 1886 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »

I always heard that antennas work better when installed in freezing wx...but what would I know about that?  Cheesy

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »

I always heard that antennas work better when installed in freezing wx...but what would I know about that?  Cheesy

I should make into the Honor Roll this winter. The coaxial connection to my ground mounted 6BTV is covered by 2 feet of snow. Smiley
VK3GA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »

At the other end of the scale, my remote is in the shade and 1000 feet up on a mountain, still managed nearly 48 Celsius in the box today with no TX happening...

At home, 41 Celsius...

73, Graham VK3GA
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »

At the other end of the scale, my remote is in the shade and 1000 feet up on a mountain, still managed nearly 48 Celsius in the box today with no TX happening...

At home, 41 Celsius...

73, Graham VK3GA

Graham,

48C inside the box? Wow! Can the equipment handle the heat? How about when you transmit? During summer, even when transmitting, I don't recall seeing the temperature inside my box higher than 35C. But I don't do any contests during summer. I only do two contests a year, CQWW CW + SSB, and they both are in the fall when the temperature is colder. My equipment enclosure has a large fan at the top. It is turned on automatically when the inside temperature reaches 30C and it then starts removing the hot air from the box.

I'm sure these extreme temperatures we are exposing our equipment to will shorten the life of out transceivers, amplifiers, etc. I only have an inexpensive equipment there, Kenwood TS-480, etc.

Marvin VE3VEE
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 05:47:21 AM »

it was 43oC here today today we had some sporadic' e's to zl on 2m but my 2m equipment is in the shed around 48 50 o in there so quick trips in and out but i did cwork a zl on 2m  2630 klms exciting for 50 watts. when its that how you can feel you breath as it goes in.
VK3GA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 03:30:34 AM »

Marvin

I have seen the amp internal temperature get over 50 degrees when transmitting in extreme weather like today, but get nervous when that happens .....but when it’s an ATNO I kind of just try my luck and hope the equipment holds up! During 15 sec FT8 cycles the temp can rise quite quickly. I also have 2 high speed fans that I can switch on to cool things down. I was able to work 6O6O on 15m CW with the internal box temp over 48C with 100 watts no problems. I agree the extreme temps cannot be too good for the equipment over time.

73 Graham VK3GA
PS. well done vk3meg on your 6O6O QSO
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: