The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The perfect HOA antenna "for me"  (Read 7977 times)
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »

No problem, you will never have to worry about reading my one paragraph posts anymore. Thought I was doing a good thing posting my results with this antenna and was excited about this antenna, but see there is more focus to the way I write. So that being said. I will never post again. Absolutely incredible!

Not going to lie to you brother, it was a little hard to read.

But it was interesting anyway to read about some real world experience with an antenna (Tak) that many people dismiss as a glorified dummy load.
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 10:53:30 PM »

No problem, you will never have to worry about reading my one paragraph posts anymore. Thought I was doing a good thing posting my results with this antenna and was excited about this antenna, but see there is more focus to the way I write. So that being said. I will never post again. Absolutely incredible!

Wonder how long he'll wait before he posts again.

Come on, man. Don't pull that storming off insulted crap, just post what you want however you want, post ANYway, who cares? Why do YOU care what some of them are saying?

You had a lot of other comments about the actual subject matter that didn't gripe about the writing, stick with those and don't let others' words get to you so much. You could have written about how you don't understand why they're focusing on the writing when the point is the antenna/results, or you could have told them you don't care, if they can't read it then you don't need them to read it anyway. you could have written nothing and moved on.

But stomping off, and telling us you're stomping off... ugh. Kid's game.

Personally I also find it quite difficult to get through a giant block of small font words, but that doesn't make me think you're a moron or anything, and I still READ it and found it really interesting.

Come on, give up the hurt feelings and get back in the game here.

73 de N0TLD
Mike
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »

Hi Joe,

Please don’t let alpha hotels drive you away. I greatly enjoyed your thread and the posts. I’m a professional writer and Editor in Chief for the largest scientific publisher in the world, Springer Media. I judge writing for a living. I had not a single problem reading, following or enjoying what you wrote.

I’ve been considering a Tak Tenna myself as I live in an HOA but have a large attic space. Your post encouraged me!

Frank
K4FMH

WY7CHY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »

N2LWE; keep posting and keep having fun with the hobby. There's primadonnas out there that just complain. When it comes to antennas; it's 10% math, 10% engineering, and 80% experimenting. (Anyone who thinks differently, proves they don't know shiite about antennas). No 2 structures, houses, etc. are the same. You were able to "Make it work". Don't give a shiite what others say. Thanks for providing those in need with an "Option". Those who disagree or don't like it, are simply ignorant. They think there's only one right way, one best amp, one best antenna, one best .......... It just shows how little they actually know. What matters is; you're on the air, you're happy with the results, and you're happy with the hobby. Necessity is the mother of invention. That's how the Tak-Tenna and many other antennas were designed. Based on what the user had available. Who knows?Huh If you tinker enough and experiment, you could come up with the next All Band 160m-10m antenna that equals the performance of a dipole, but only takes up 10-20 feet. Keep posting and keep having fun. And FWIW: I PURPOSELY wrote all this in one paragraph.  Tongue

Born Wild - Raised Proud: 73
Cheyenne, Wyoming
W4SKB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »

Nice writeup. Sounds like you had an issue and you resolved it in a way that lets you operate HF.

Ignore the people complaining about your formatting. It won';t that hard to read.

May the complainers should attempt writing something of interest rather than complain when someone else does write and interesting and informative article.

Good job. Keep it up.

K4SKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »

Hey Joe,

Ignore the "English Majors".  They complained but they still read the article.
I enjoyed it and it helped me look for a reduced space antenna for my home.
Don't stop posting.  You did a service which used to be what Amateur Radio was all about.

K4SKA
K5ML

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »

Hi Joe,

Congratulations on your stealth antenna and sharing your experience with us. Ignore the critics and please keep posting when you have something to share.

Here are some very simple ideas that anyone can use to improve their writing:
1. Try to limit your sentences to 20 words or less.
2. Try to limit your paragraphs to 100 words or less.
3. Before you post/email something, read over what you have written and omit any needless words. A sentence should not contain any unnecessary words for the same reason that a machine should not contain any unnecessary parts. Make every word tell.
4. Use simple, everyday words whenever possible.

I'm not a grammarian or English teacher but I have some experience as a writer. If you are interested, check out my QRZ.com page.

Mickey, K5ML
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »

Hi Joe,

Please don’t let alpha hotels drive you away. I greatly enjoyed your thread and the posts. I’m a professional writer and Editor in Chief for the largest scientific publisher in the world, Springer Media. I judge writing for a living. I had not a single problem reading, following or enjoying what you wrote.

I’ve been considering a Tak Tenna myself as I live in an HOA but have a large attic space. Your post encouraged me!

Frank
K4FMH

[/quote

Put up a dipole/dipoles in that attic, even if you have to zig zag them.  It will work soooooo much better.  Don't give up the dB's.  There is nothing magical about a TAK.  It will always be several dB below a dipole.  My first antenna system in this house were dipoles in the attic. I made a lot of contacts on them before I got up some outside antennas.  Remember everything works.  Including coax fed light bulbs in the window.  EVERTYTHING will make some contacts.  I loaded up a metal pen with my hombrew transmatch one time and made a contact to Venezuela on 15 meters.  Yes a pen less than 6 inches long. That doesn't mean it was a "good" antenna.

For that matter you have people giving good reviews on the MAXX-COMM  "automatic antenna tuner".  Thats right it actually IS a dummy load with connections for adding wire to radiate.  YES you can take a dummy load and put a coax T connector on it and put some wire on the other connection  of the T and it will make contacts. It may be pretty close to the results you will obtain from the coax radiation of a TAK Tenna depending on the wire and its placement.   EVERYTHING works, it is just a matter of degree. Good luck in your antenna journey.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »

Joe just think of it as writing a report.....
I had no problem reading it as is.
Bill, AA2UK
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »

Hi Joe,

Congrats on your homebrew antenna success.

Personally, I wouldn't have much faith in a 23' antenna that advertises 80-6m coverage, that has no traps or coils. It's easy to tune it to resonance with a tuner, but you're probably losing 95% of your radiated power into the tuner. Explains why the stations on 80m couldn't hear you. The Comet CHA250B is no better.

There will always be hams who claim they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but you can probably do better with a random length of wire. I think these antennas are all just hype to fool new hams looking for a magical solution the antenna restricted situations.

I'll always build before I buy, and I'm still looking for a decent 75m antenna for my small city lot. Using an Alpha Delta DX-B now. It gets me on 160 and 80, but certainly a compromise.

Enjoy the new antenna.

Max VE3TMT

WY7CHY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »

The Tak-Tenna does work. Is it as good as a dipole? No. It's probably only a couple steps up from a hamstick mounted with a ground plane. But it does work.

And you don't lose your power; especially 95%; in a tuner. Not unless your tuner can't tune the antenna, and you're dealing with a really high (15+) to :1 swr. The loss is in the antenna and feedline. Just like the loss in a hamstick or a dummy load. If the antenna sucks at radiating, then your signal doesn't go as far with a given amount of power.

But what does matter, is that this individual; because of all the factors that affects HF radiation; antenna, height, feed line, nearby structures, ground, power lines, and many other affects; combined with the OP's limitations with what he CAN use for an antenna; has found an antenna that meets his immediate needs. And IT WORKS!!!

A dipole or long wire is NOT BETTER, if he can't put one up. Just like a Beam/Yagi IS NOT BETTER, if I can't fit one. A ACOM Amplifier is NOT BETTER than an Ameritron IF I CAN'T AFFORD one. (Einstein's Law of Relativity). Better is "Relative" to "Ability".

Born Wild - Raised Proud: 73
Cheyenne, Wyoming
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »

I think I've finally found one of those "long delayed echos"....K0UA: did you have a message to post re: my contribution? 73 de K4FMH

Hi Joe,

Frank
K4FMH

[/quote

Put up a dipole/dipoles in that attic, even if you have to zig zag them.  It will work soooooo much better.  Don't give up the dB's.  There is nothing magical about a TAK.  It will always be several dB below a dipole.  My first antenna system in this house were dipoles in the attic. I made a lot of contacts on them before I got up some outside antennas.  Remember everything works.  Including coax fed light bulbs in the window.  EVERTYTHING will make some contacts.  I loaded up a metal pen with my hombrew transmatch one time and made a contact to Venezuela on 15 meters.  Yes a pen less than 6 inches long. That doesn't mean it was a "good" antenna.

For that matter you have people giving good reviews on the MAXX-COMM  "automatic antenna tuner".  Thats right it actually IS a dummy load with connections for adding wire to radiate.  YES you can take a dummy load and put a coax T connector on it and put some wire on the other connection  of the T and it will make contacts. It may be pretty close to the results you will obtain from the coax radiation of a TAK Tenna depending on the wire and its placement.   EVERYTHING works, it is just a matter of degree. Good luck in your antenna journey.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »

K4FMH,  yeah the idea is "just say no" to the TAK antenna and its kin.  Almost anything in the way of even a compromise dipole will work better.  Or even an end fed wire with a matchbox if you can get a little height on it. Of course if you have your heart set on a TAK tenna, it will work. Everything works.  It is all a matter of degree. 
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »

Thanks for your inout. Kinda knew all that already.

K4FMH,  yeah the idea is "just say no" to the TAK antenna and its kin.  Almost anything in the way of even a compromise dipole will work better.  Or even an end fed wire with a matchbox if you can get a little height on it. Of course if you have your heart set on a TAK tenna, it will work. Everything works.  It is all a matter of degree. 
DONB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:17 AM »

I am not a ham.  I have considered taking the test as most of my family have, but in reading the poor response N2LWE received, I have made my decision not to do so.  I thought his problem and the solution FOR HIM was going to provide enjoyment in the hobby. 
(Para) - The man shared his problem, his solution and was so elated he wanted to share the experience.  He also asked for your experiences where by he may even improve his situation.   The folks who were so critical of his entry should remind themselves that to spread the hobby, encouragement would be the key word here.  What did the man get?  Nasty, greater than thou, fault finding, critical comments!  The man did not deserve that!  So, since I am not a ham, I will leave you two-faced gents to your shrinking future.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: