The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RSP-2 for SWL anyone?  (Read 5960 times)
K1VCT

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

Just wanting to know if anyone is using the RSP-2 from SDRplay for general SWL

Seems like an interesting little radio, but... I have no clue on the software being ok, or not
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »

Just wanting to know if anyone is using the RSP-2 from SDRplay for general SWL

Seems like an interesting little radio, but... I have no clue on the software being ok, or not

If you already bought it, it's a good radio.  Grin  If you are still deciding, go with the RSP1A.

Received an RSP1A recently. It works with HDSDR, SDR-Console, and UNO. There may be others, including Linux only packages. Different users will prefer one over the other. MW DXers seem to prefer HDSDR. FM DXers, Uno. I like SDR-Console for SW. Try them all.

As for receivers again, if you can afford another $100, and don't need 10MHz wide waterfall, look up the AirSpy HF+. The reviews are very good. I'm planning on buying it next.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:31:22 PM by VA3VF » Logged
K1VCT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »

Was wondering more about the software... some folks say its super kludgy, buggy... not ready for prime time.  Since the _software_ is the key for an SDR, it concerns me.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »

Was wondering more about the software... some folks say its super kludgy, buggy... not ready for prime time.  Since the _software_ is the key for an SDR, it concerns me.

SDR-Console and HDSDR work fine with the RSP-2. SDR-Console has everything you need. HDSDR needs an ExtIo DLL, but if you download the customized version from the SDRPlay website, it's all included.

For the SDR# some 'malabarism' is required, an old ExtIo or old SDR# version is required, I think. That's because SDRPlay and AirSpy are competitors in the hardware area.

UNO is the 'native' RSP software, and includes everything needed as well, but the learning curve is a little higher.

I have not tried other software, so cannot provide any info on them.

As for the software being kludgy and/or buggy, I wonder if it got this 'label' when using them with the RTL-SDR dongle. It can be a little harder with the dongle, but once the driver and DLL situation are settled, no problem whatsoever.

SDR-Console is 'officially' beta. I only wish all final software versions worked as well as this beta. Grin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:43:50 AM by VA3VF » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »

I have the RSP1, a Perseus, a bunch of dongles, and an AirSpy HF+ (Shipped) with over a decade of using SDR for general SWLing. Yes, the software can be key. Sdrplay bought an extant commercial (i.e., paid) package to support their hardware. And, yes, they’ve upgraded it many times since. But candidly what you’ve read from others only might apply to the very early versions of the software they provide for the sdrplay series of Rxes. Since then, it’s been very innovative.

You can use other software to control the RSP series. Simon Brown, famous for his HRD free version before it was bought and is a paid-for software suite, is publishing SDR Console 3.x. It’s a very well developed program, even utilizing CUDA processing on the NVIDIA video cards! In my experience, this program does a lot for both hams and swls. You should at least take a look.

There are a number of other software programs that will manage the RSP SDRs. Each has its own virtues. But, for whatever their limitations, most all of them are very buggy etc. as you’ve heard, imho.

Frank
K4FMH

Was wondering more about the software... some folks say its super kludgy, buggy... not ready for prime time.  Since the _software_ is the key for an SDR, it concerns me.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »

SDRPlay doesn't seem clunky or kludgy at all. I like the modular controls. I can turn on or off what I need to use on my screen for whatever I'm doing.

Works great with Shortwave Log, using HRD free version as the connector.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »

There is not much advantage to an RSP1A over the RSP2.  They both use the same ADC, and the filtering is about the same.

I would personally buy whichever suits your needs; if you only have 1 antenna and only ever will, the RSP1A may be the way to go.

Otherwise, snap up a second hand RSP2 from someone who has hastily jumped on the RSP1A bandwagon, and enjoy having 3 antenna inputs including a High-Z one.

Check out this article, and make sure to click 'Read The Reply' from the SDR Play team.  They surmise that there is only 'a few dB' difference between 12bit and 14bit mode at best.  In all honesty, I'd be surprised if the RSP2 hasn't been silently 'upgraded' to 14bit mode as well.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-review-of-the-sdrplay-rsp1a/

The main upgrade in the RSP1A is the addition of bandpass filters, which were always present in the RSP2.

The tuner in front of the ADC, as stated by the SDR Play team, is the main limitation to Dynamic Range.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:30:10 PM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
VA3WAO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:13 AM »

Hi Charles, I just picked up the RSP2 Pro last week and basically stuck a 30 ~ 40  port, installed the software and plugged the RSP2 in AFTER the software was installed and asked me to then plug in the RSP2 played with the software a few minutes NEVER ever even seeing a piece of SDR software and once I figured out to click play on the one console ... static !!! A bit of struggle to figure out how to tune and make sure you use a mouse, makes tuning so much easier! I finally after about a half hour of playing and pigheadedly stubbornly REFUSING to crack the user guide PDF open, I got a couple shortwave stations and a couple of hams! Antenna not properly connected, everything just plugged in to each other and it works! I am hoping this weekend to be able to string a long wire antenna out the back of the house to see how much more I am going to receive!

I got the pro only because it was on sale at the local ham shop. Why not if you have a few spare bucks right?!

The software seemed to work well, it installed with a couple hurky gurkys YET when I rebooted the computer as it required, I double clicked, it opened, and immediately found the SDRplay and off to the races. Most software that hurkys on you, usually requires and uninstall, reboot, shutdown everything and anything and another install attempt! SDRUno installed first time and just worked. I think what you are hearing is others that have used other software complaining as UNO has a bit of a learning curve as I have been reading. But not reading anything, never using SDR software before I was up and running in a half hour! Now I need to learn the SDR package to make full use of my purchase! I would say go buy one!
K1VCT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »

Well... I did get one.  And tried SDRuno and HDSDR.

SDRuno wins hands down, and its not too much more difficult than learning an app for your tablet.  Not totally intuitive, but once you get into how it works, very very easy and workable.

I have to thank everyone for their input.  THANKS!

The new 1.22 SDRuno has good features.  Some of its a little kludgy though... but you can't have it all.   SDRplay seems to be taking a very active role in listening to feedback from users.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: