The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "DX Cluster". Hardly.  (Read 3144 times)
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »

There's talk here about the grid chase and cluster spots. Am I to understand that people are chasing grids on HF? Last time I checked, VUCC awards are only for VHF and up to the GHz frequencies. I've seen grids spotted on 10M for several years, and don't really understand why. Noticed some 12M grid spots today. Some people are satisfied working DXCC and never submitting cards, so I guess folks can chase grids for their own pleasure with no awards being available.

I've spent some time on 6M, and it's mostly stateside working and spotting stateside. VE, and XE, because that's about all we hear most of the time in the US. Folks on 6M are mostly working states and grids, and real DX is not so common. So naturally, there's not as many DX spots on 6M as stateside spots.

How about this one... What is DX? Technically, it means long distance. Two ops within the contiguous 48 states can work each other 2,892 miles (4,654 km) apart. That's the greatest distance between any two mainland points within the contiguous 48 states from Point Arena, California to West Quoddy Head, Maine. That distance can involve about a dozen countries between Greece and Denmark. Being a DXer, I lean with the crowd who classifies DX as one other than your DXCC country. But there's other opinions out there.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »

There's talk here about the grid chase and cluster spots. Am I to understand that people are chasing grids on HF?

How about this one... What is DX? Technically, it means long distance.

Yes, all bands, except 60M.

What is DX? The entity/ies I still need to confirm, regardless of band and/or mode.  Grin

This event has the potential to make contest haters apologize to contesters.  Huh

They had it easy, weekends only.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:57:10 AM by VA3VF » Logged
LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »

I like non DX spots.  They can be very informative on the higher HF frequencies, and VHF.  Especially for locating Es cluds etc.
Propagation are just as interesting as more rare DX.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:17 PM »

Am I to understand that people are chasing grids on HF? Last time I checked, VUCC awards are only for VHF and up to the GHz frequencies. I've seen grids spotted on 10M for several years, and don't really understand why. Noticed some 12M grid spots today. Some people are satisfied working DXCC and never submitting cards, so I guess folks can chase grids for their own pleasure with no awards being available.
Not only are they chasing grid squares on HF, but doing so on a monthly basis! See: http://www.arrl.org/news/announcing-the-arrl-international-grid-chase

Just this morning, I had a guy work me for a repeat band-mode QSO on FT8.  Guess he wanted my grid square.  Seems like an excuse for running up the numbers on LoTW for no good reason.  I enjoyed the 2016 NPOTA program, but this grid thing holds no interest for me.   
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »

Not only are they chasing grid squares on HF, but doing so on a monthly basis! See: http://www.arrl.org/news/announcing-the-arrl-international-grid-chase

That was what I thought when I first read the announcement, but I was not sure it meant the same grid every month. I thought only the stats where going to be monthly.

Getting better!

And to emphasize the monetary aspect again, does this mean paying for the same grid credit, every month?

As for FT8, switch to JTDX, and activate skip grid. Grin
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »

I like non DX spots.  They can be very informative on the higher HF frequencies, and VHF.  Especially for locating Es cluds etc.

Try DX maps, it's a better tool for that.

https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »

WOW! That International Grid Chase thing caught me by surprise. Guess this is sorta like W1AW in all states during 2014. Can't complain about that one, it got me Triple Play WAS. Perhaps that event got more DX stations on LoTW, and maybe Grid Chase will do the same. I won't be participating in Grid Chase, but will answer anyone calling CQ Grid Chase if it's a band I need. All my contacts are uploaded to LoTW, so I'll get the band and the other guy will get the band and the grid.

DE P5DR (Dennis Rodman) calling CQ Grid Chase.
P5DR de K4HB UR 59 EM83, QSL LoTW in 5 minutes.

If this event overwhelms the bands and the cluster, hope ARRL doesn't decide to continue beyond 2018.

KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »

Being a DXer, I lean with the crowd who classifies DX as one other than your DXCC country. But there's other opinions out there.
I'm of the same opinion on most bands... On 10m, I consider the west coast to be DX and on 6m, well anything out of state is DX. But on 12m and down, for the most part my definition of DX is any country other then your own DXCC entity.

73 de KM4SII - Mason

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »

The cluster network is a worldwide resource. Ops in Europe, Asia, South America, and Africa consider QSOs with US stations to be "DX", particularly if they are chasing awards like WAS or USACA.

The cluster network is used by VHF ops as well as HF ops; on VHF, the definition of "DX" is considerably different than it is on HF. Ops pursuing VUCC are seeking rarely-activated grid squares independent of the distance from their QTH to the active station.

Any application that claims to support DXing provides a means of filtering active stations by band, mode, location, participation in LoTW/eQSL, spotting station distance from your QTH, probability of propagation to your QTH, and "need" for the awards you are pursuing. Thus it's easy for DXers to focus on stations of their choosing without being distracted stations they don't consider of interest.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »

I'm afraid the number of grids, at 12 cents each, could have been a factor. This is why I asked about awards.

Don't assume venality where there's no indication of it.

There is no HF award for grids; everything I read suggests that this will be tallied up somewhere, just like NPOTA was, and there will be nothing like 12 cents per QSO collected from anyone.

I would think if nothing else, their experience with WPX would make them realistic about the prospects of collecting that much money from small granularities.

Maybe they'll announce something tomorrow, but let's go by what's actually in front of us.  Which is nothing.
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »

I'm afraid the number of grids, at 12 cents each, could have been a factor. This is why I asked about awards.

With the ARRL, it's nothing but venality.  Non-stop, round the clock venality.

$10,000 granite garden bench, estate planning, memorial bricks, etc.  You name it, they got it.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure the other shoe is getting ready to drop any day now.

At least with the CQ Magazine DX Marathon, when you contest and earn a cert or plaque, it's free.  No price of admission, no yearly membership, no "LoTW credits", no postage, no cost to claim your certificate or plaque.

The deserving are truly rewarded there.  

N0UN
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:21:44 PM by N0UN » Logged
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »

Oh don't worry, I'm sure the other shoe is getting ready to drop any day now.

Oh, please stop.

Read the announcement.  There's no indication this is being handled differently than the other stuff like "We The People" or any of the others.  There is no 12 cents per QSO here.  You made that up.

When the other shoe drops, if it ever does, then you may crow to your heart's delight.  If it turns out to be like all the other activity generators of recent years, and that's all we see announced, then please stop.

We have enough real scandals in the world without anticipating new ones without evidence.
LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 01:07:43 AM »

Yes, thats what I am using.  But its based on the cluster spots.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 03:54:29 AM »

Yes, thats what I am using.  But its based on the cluster spots.

Not only DX Clusters. I was feeding FT8 data directly, using their aggregator. There may be other ways as well.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 05:45:15 AM »

In addition to 'overly motivated by money', venality can also mean 'the quality of being open to bribery'. You certainly meant the former. I would not include the 'overly' in this case, but in my opinion, and my opinion only, the league is a business, and as such must always look for ways to increase revenues.

My opinion may be derived from the fact that I'm not in the US, and cannot see all the good that the league does.

As a 2 months old former 'member', every time I clicked on JOIN, I was actually clicking on SUBSCRIBE, to QST. As I slowly lost interest in QST, I stopped subscribing to it.

I like the 'pay per use' concept of LoTW, and the fact that it's available to me regardless of 'membership' status. I find it unbelievable that US based hams must be ARRL 'members' to apply for DXCC, and that 'members' don't get any breaks on the award costs as a 'member's' benefit.

People from different countries sometimes have different attitudes, and see things in different ways (remember the other thread?  Wink  ). I too find 'interesting' to see the league selling 'bricks'.

This may just be the way of doing business in the 21st century.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: