The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "DX Cluster". Hardly.  (Read 7805 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 05:52:10 AM »

Just this morning, I had a guy work me for a repeat band-mode QSO on FT8.  Guess he wanted my grid square.  Seems like an excuse for running up the numbers on LoTW for no good reason.  I enjoyed the 2016 NPOTA program, but this grid thing holds no interest for me.   

Dumb question: If you are running WSJT-X, how do you tell that someone is a band-mode dupe? Or that a grid-square is a dupe?
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 06:22:54 AM »

Just this morning, I had a guy work me for a repeat band-mode QSO on FT8.  Guess he wanted my grid square.  Seems like an excuse for running up the numbers on LoTW for no good reason.  I enjoyed the 2016 NPOTA program, but this grid thing holds no interest for me.  

Dumb question: If you are running WSJT-X, how do you tell that someone is a band-mode dupe? Or that a grid-square is a dupe?

Not in WSJT-X, but JTAlert. I remember, when setting up the alerts, that you can choose band and mode. Digital can further be split into the individual WSJT modes. After the configuration is complete, you must scan the log associated with JTAlert, for the filters/alerts to be activated.

I don't know the details about the grid, my radio bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, so I had no incentive/need to look into it yet.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 07:32:30 AM »

Just this morning, I had a guy work me for a repeat band-mode QSO on FT8.  Guess he wanted my grid square.  Seems like an excuse for running up the numbers on LoTW for no good reason.  I enjoyed the 2016 NPOTA program, but this grid thing holds no interest for me.  

Not in WSJT-X, but JTAlert. I remember, when setting up the alerts, that you can choose band and mode. Digital can further be split into the individual WSJT modes. After the configuration is complete, you must scan the log associated with JTAlert, for the filters/alerts to be activated.

I don't know the details about the grid, my radio bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, so I had no incentive/need to look into it yet.

Thanks!

What I want to do, is alert on a new FT8 grids that are also regular LOTW users as a way to cherry-pick easy to confirm grids for WARC Digital slots in ARRL grid chase.

If a guy is not a LOTW user, I don't even want to waste time with him.

Right now I have a homegrown tool that helps me with that (using cluster spots and the LOTW-user lists) very well for CW, RTTY, and phone spots. It uses callook.info and/or QRZ.com to find grid squares where not already known.

What I'll probably end up doing is "translating" the JTAlert UDP packets about FT8 spots received at my station, into regular-looking cluster spots that I then sneak into the packet spot stream locally.
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »

Oh don't worry, I'm sure the other shoe is getting ready to drop any day now.

Oh, please stop.

Read the announcement.  There's no indication this is being handled differently than the other stuff like "We The People" or any of the others.  There is no 12 cents per QSO here.  You made that up.

When the other shoe drops, if it ever does, then you may crow to your heart's delight.  If it turns out to be like all the other activity generators of recent years, and that's all we see announced, then please stop.

We have enough real scandals in the world without anticipating new ones without evidence.

12 cents?  I said 12 cents per QSO?  I don't think so.

"We have enough real scandals in the world without anticipating new ones without evidence."

Maybe take your own advice.  In the meantime, I'll wait for the other shoe to drop.

N0UN
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:59:06 AM by N0UN » Logged

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »

I have been doing this from day 1. I'll reply to every call, if I called DX, no exception. I'll not call a non LoTW user, or even LoTW user that has not uploaded at least once in the last 12 months. This is another JTAlert option. In fact, thanks to the filters, non-LoTW stations, and those that have not uploaded in the last 12 months, do not show up in my JTAlert window.
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »

I'll not call a non LoTW user, or even LoTW user that has not uploaded at least once in the last 12 months.

Hopefully more people will start doing this as well. It will make working rare DX stations in pileups super easy for the rest of us.

Tom KC0W
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »

I'll not call a non LoTW user, or even LoTW user that has not uploaded at least once in the last 12 months.

Hopefully more people will start doing this as well. It will make working rare DX stations in pileups super easy for the rest of us.

Tom KC0W

+1, hahahahahahaha!

N0UN

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »

Tom KC0W

There may have been a snide in the comment, I don't know, but I wholehearted agree with the gist of it.

At this time, when DXing, I go for LoTW confirmations only, you can handle the rest. Grin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:24:08 AM by VA3VF » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 08:47:44 AM »

To be fair I also have my own personal list of upcoming DXpeditions that have not yet uploaded to LOTW, but I know they will after their DXpedition HI HI.

I also have a filter, this guy used to upload to LOTW but now swears he will never do it again.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »

The ARRL is a non-profit organization.

Financially, the ARRL operates like a university. Universities charge tuition, but also solicit contributions from alumni, foundations, and companies to increase their endowment.  Similarly, ARRL members pay dues, but the ARRL's annual operating budget can include a portion of the investment income generated by its endowment.

LoTW is free to all amateur radio operators, whether or not they are ARRL members. LoTW thus generates no direct revenue, but contributes to the "application fees, certificates, plaques, and merchandise" revenue generated by awards (like DXCC and WAZ) and operating activities (like NPOTA and Grid Chase). The cost of running LoTW includes staff (developers, help desk personnel), services (internet, electricity), and depreciation.

The primary objective of operating events like NPOTA and Grid Chase is to stimulate more over-the-air activity. The secondary objective is to motivate more ops to start using LoTW.

Dave, AA6YQ (volunteer member, ARRL LoTW committee)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »

In the meantime, I'll wait for the other shoe to drop.
N0UN

I tried, but I cannot figure out what this means. Would you enlighten me? Feel free to use eHam's private message facilities, if warranted.
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »

Whatever happened to the "DX" Cluster?

It turns into the "merry Xmas", "gud dx in 2018" and the "HNY" instant messaging site this time of year. Bonus points are awarded on the DX cluster when USA dumbo's wish each other salutatory greetings with spots on the (once again) DX cluster.

Then you have guys who automatically post every QSO they make in a contest on the cluster. Guess what? No one cares if you just worked California from Florida on 20 meters.

For a real knee slapping good time just wait until Bouvet. There will be 20 spots in a row reaffirming what we already know 8 days into the DXpedition, that 3Y0Z is indeed on the air. You will also be bombarded with such gems as:

TU for 6 bands
 UP UP UP
 80 open but no 3Y0Z
 wrkd with dipole
 20 kc wide pileup
 no ears
 BINGO!!!
 When SSB?
 1st call
 SPLIT, SPLIT, SPLIT
 when cw?
 tu #331
 when rtty?
 CHAOS!!  
 pse beam SA
 Weak (also week)
 took 14 hours
 when FT8?

My favorite dumbo spot is "nothing heard here". Why in the world are you spotting if.................Oh, never mind.

Another classic is when guys re-spot broken callsigns with the same broken callsign. Example:

WZ1XXX      7010.0 P5DX    it's PY5DX     1440z  2018-Jan-01

Interesting on how I have never seen Japanese stations all spotting the same DX station 10 times in a row. When was the last time you saw a legitimate JA spot that read, "lid op", "pse lstn for qrp" or "no ears"? They are masters of restraint, something NA & EU cluster users could learn from.  

Tom KC0W                                                    

00:53 07 Jan
 Spotter   JN3ONX-@  Country   Somalia  Info 
ATNO. please work jA

There's always one exception to every rule
 Grin
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »

00:53 07 Jan
 Spotter   JN3ONX-@  Country   Somalia  Info  
ATNO. please work jA

There's always one exception to every rule
 Grin

Must be under the influence of the K6ONX callsign he also holds. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: