The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridiculously long restriction after email address change  (Read 10992 times)
N5MAJ

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:42:51 AM »

I changed my email address on the site on Dec 19 to reflect my new call sign (N5MAJ), and ever since then my account has been "restricted" from making changes.

It has been TWO WEEKS...that seems a bit long, in my opinion.

I'm not sure why changing an email address would turn a trusted account into an untrusted account.
N5MAJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »

In case it's not clear, my FCC call sign has been N5MAJ since December 19th, not KG5WIG.

All I want to do is change my profile to match my call sign.  Tongue

This is what I see when I try:

This is what I've seen after changing my email address two weeks ago:

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »

One of the primary steps a scammer takes after breaching an acct is to change its email address so we look email addr changes over.
Sorry for the delay and trouble.

73 Mike N2MG
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »

A brand new ham who wants something done for him RIGHT NOW.  Entitlement.

Nice.

N5MAJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »

A brand new ham who wants something done for him RIGHT NOW.  Entitlement.

I don't think two weeks is the same as "right now." When you change your email address, you're told, "There is a short moratorium before newly registered users may post. The actual time may vary from a few hours to a day or two while the staff reviews them."

Bear in mind all I wanted to do was edit my profile to reflect my new call sign that was effective Dec 19. However, once you've flipped the "untrusted" switch, you cannot modify your own profile.

So after modifying my email alias on December 19th, I was put into the "untrusted" category, and I couldn't do anything further with my profile. After a week of waiting, Dec 26, I sent an email to the webmaster email address, but didn't get a response. After another week of waiting with no response, I posted here on Jan 2.

I'm not complaining about the anti-spam/anti-scam measures. I work in the cyber security industry, and I understand the caution. I also understand that this website is a labor of love, and that the admins are volunteers. I think eHam.net provides a valuable service, or I wouldn't have immediately become a paying subscriber of the site.

The web page says the moratorium lasts "...a few hours to a day or two," not over two weeks. For all I knew, there was a bug in the website that caused my account to slip through the cracks.

73, Mike N5MAJ
N5MAJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »

Also, I think adding support for multi-factor authentication, such as RFC 6238 TOTP (time-based one-time passwords), would be a great security feature, and might go a long way towards cutting down on people having their accounts hijacked.

Implementing some sort of CAPTCHA-type system would also avoid systematic dictionary attacks against passwords, as well as scripted account generation.

73, Mike N5MAJ
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 03:33:42 AM »

'Entitlement.'?!?

I think someone didn't really understand the issue here, and/or is so hepped up on calling out yet more 'entitled hams' that he didn't get the gist of what you were writing. A completely wrong and useless response, needlessly judgmental.

As for the ACTUAL subject, I experienced the same delay a little over two weeks, over the end of November and into December. I kept getting the 'hours or a few days' message but it took far longer than that.

And I fully agree about the volunteer basis of the admin's and others here who provide such a valuable service/site, I am very thankful for their hard work. So no complaints from me over the delay, just curiousity.

Entitlement. Geez, what a smug little post.

73 de N0TLD
Mike
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »

It has been TWO WEEKS...

Mike, the guy is crying like an entitled Millennial.  So a volunteer didn't get to him right away, and now he vents on a worldwide forum.

And brand new....he's going to be a real blast.

N5MAJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »

'Entitlement.'?!?

I think someone didn't really understand the issue here, and/or is so hepped up on calling out yet more 'entitled hams' that he didn't get the gist of what you were writing. A completely wrong and useless response, needlessly judgmental.

Yes, thank you, N0TLD. I'm 48 years old, which I realize is still young compared to many hams, but I'm hardly the stereotypical "entitled Millennial."

As for the ACTUAL subject, I experienced the same delay a little over two weeks, over the end of November and into December. I kept getting the 'hours or a few days' message but it took far longer than that.

And I fully agree about the volunteer basis of the admin's and others here who provide such a valuable service/site, I am very thankful for their hard work. So no complaints from me over the delay, just curiousity.

I will confess that I was mildly frustrated, but I was not disrespectful towards Mike (N2MG) or any other admins. I was merely curious why it took two weeks for something that was described as requiring only a few hours to a few days. This particular forum, "Site Talk," seemed like an appropriate place to post, since it is described as: "Comments, Complaints, and Questions about eHam.net welcome here!" For all I knew, it could have been a bug in the website software. Bear in mind that I have nearly 30 years of experience as a professional software developer, and I generally appreciate it when users point out things that don't look correct.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but I am a bit disappointed that some other members have been so quick to pass judgment on me. *shrug*

73, Mike J. N5MAJ (formerly KG5WIG)
N3NUE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

Been a member since 2008, and am waiting under the "restricted" banner regarding a change. BTW, if someone hacks MY accounts of any kind, they'll be starting a Go Fund Me page, lol.

John
N3NUE
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »

Well, hopefully they can get it all done soon.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »

Also, I think adding support for multi-factor authentication, such as RFC 6238 TOTP (time-based one-time passwords), would be a great security feature, and might go a long way towards cutting down on people having their accounts hijacked.

Implementing some sort of CAPTCHA-type system would also avoid systematic dictionary attacks against passwords, as well as scripted account generation.

Yeah! Let's lock this sucker down like a banking site.

Just MHO...   Jumping into a forum, questioning the administrative processing time over a major holiday is asinine, not to mention, petulant and whiny.

Welcome to reality. With most any hobby forum, things often happen at the speed of convenience, just not yours..

Are you a paying member?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:27:01 PM by K5TED » Logged
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »

TED....I was called essentially the same names for making your point earlier.  

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:00:43 PM »

I do apologize for not picking up on the earlier post indicating he is indeed a paying member.  As for my commentary, just wanted to provide the most internet forum-ish experience by replying in kind to the charge of "Ridiculously".  Cool
N5MAJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »

I do apologize for not picking up on the earlier post indicating he is indeed a paying member.  As for my commentary, just wanted to provide the most internet forum-ish experience by replying in kind to the charge of "Ridiculously".  Cool

In hindsight, I could have chosen a better term than "ridiculously long" to describe the automated restriction, but I was mildly frustrated and being honest. I still feel that the delay is ridiculously long. However, bear in mind that I have the perspective of a professional software developer in the cyber security industry. I'm not criticizing the site admins or demanding instant gratification; I'm merely criticizing a process that I think could be improved.

I don't have access to site statistics, but this seems to be a pretty popular site. I'm willing to bet that there are a LOT of accounts that go into this "restricted" status, and I'm willing to bet that it's a pain in the neck for the admins to try and sort out the legitimate accounts from the scammers and spammers. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that the admins have better things to do with their time than wade through a list of accounts to approve. That's why I mentioned the multi-factor authentication and CAPTCHAs. You don't have to go overboard, but dealing with scammers and spammers is NOT a problem that's unique to eHam.net. Websites deal with this issue every day, and it's an ongoing arms race.

As you noted, I am a paying member. I signed up for a paying membership almost immediately, because as a new ham I've received a great deal of value from the "Reviews" section of this site. Over the past couple of months I have spent over $2000 on equipment for my new hobby, and I've based a lot of my purchases on reviews I've read here on eHam.net. I'm a huge fan of the site, and I regret the backlash that my post has generated.

Look at it this way...

Imagine you are sitting in a doctor's office, and there is an FM radio playing in the waiting room, and it is tuned slightly off-frequency. For instance, instead of 100.5 MHz, it's tuned to 100.6 MHz. As a result, the audio is staticky and slightly garbled. You finally say something to the receptionist, suggesting that the radio be adjusted, and immediately a bunch of other patients jump down your throat and call you "entitled" for having the audacity to criticize the tuning of the radio. You think you're just pointing out something obvious that could easily be improved. The others think you're a mewling, petulant jerk who loves to complain.

I'm not saying that the site sucks, or that the admins are lazy, or questioning the need for validating accounts. I'm just suggesting that there are other ways to address the issue that don't involve lengthy delays for valid active users.

Regardless, I regret that my initial post has caused so much of an emotional backlash, because that certainly wasn't my intent.   Sad

73, Mike J N5MAJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: