The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In praise of the CQ DX Marathon  (Read 1653 times)
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »

I didn't know you were using the mode.  Did it help you add any countries or zones to your Marathon score?

Chris  NU1O

Chris, if I recall correctly, the only country I worked on FT8 that I didn't work on any other mode in 2017 was Sierra Leone 9L/KW4XJ.

Marvin VE3VEE
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 03:26:50 AM »

So far, I have yet to lose a point for any submitted QSO with confirmation from any of:

1. eQSL (whether AG or not).
2.  LOTW
3.  Clublog

A neat thing about the AD1C ADIF to Marathon converter, is that if you feed in your "most confirmed" QSO's first, then your "least confirmed" QSO's last, it will always choose a more confirmed QSO to fill in the spreadsheet.

So for example I feed in my LOTW QSL's first, then all the other Q's. By end of the year the vast majority of countries I've worked are already LOTW confirmed, and those that aren't, are usually DXpeditions that upload to Clublog.

My very first year, I didn't understand the reason to take precautions, and I did lose some points.

Me too! I had a trivially busted call for a very common entity (England) I had worked many times, and the Marathon guys found it immediately.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »

Today is the deadline to enter for 2017.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »

After I submitted my entry, I realized one of the three zones I did not work in 2017 was my own zone (Zone 3).

A lot of us have postulated a rule change for contests, (especially CQ WW), that your own zone and DXCC should be a “gimme”. But the fancy has never advanced to reality.

I can't count the number of times I've seen a golfer miss a "gimme!"  I'm not a real big contestor but I've never failed to work my own zone, especially with my logging program visually showing me I need Zone 5 and also displaying spots for my own zone.  I'd be against handing out "gimmes."

Chris  NU1O

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »

I'm not a real big contestor but I've never failed to work my own zone, especially with my logging program visually showing me I need Zone 5 and also displaying spots for my own zone.  I'd be against handing out "gimmes."

Chris  NU1O

Agree...The possibility that some stations will give you a hard time if you try to work them is no excuse.

I'm not a competitive contester, so I simply avoid working my own zone, to avoid this on-air situation.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »

After I submitted my entry, I realized one of the three zones I did not work in 2017 was my own zone (Zone 3).

A lot of us have postulated a rule change for contests, (especially CQ WW), that your own zone and DXCC should be a “gimme”. But the fancy has never advanced to reality.

I can't count the number of times I've seen a golfer miss a "gimme!"  I'm not a real big contestor but I've never failed to work my own zone, especially with my logging program visually showing me I need Zone 5 and also displaying spots for my own zone.  I'd be against handing out "gimmes."

The argument for gimme's in CQ WW, is that it lets everyone concentrate more on working DX. And it allows everyone to avoid the issue where stations refuse to work zero-pointers, and/or don't log the zero-pointers.

Having been on the 160M desk after EU sunrise, man, we appreciate a call from anyone at all in those hours!
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »

And it allows everyone to avoid the issue where stations refuse to work zero-pointers, and/or don't log the zero-pointers.

The behavior of certain stations in refusing to work the zero pointers is unsportsmanlike.

That said, the calling stations MUST use common sense, and not interrupt a run for a zero pointer. Wait until the running station calls CQ, and does not get any response from the 'pointers'.

It's not that much different from working dupes.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 06:31:26 PM »

The behavior of certain stations in refusing to work the zero pointers is unsportsmanlike.

Why?  It's a contest.  If the calling station has no value to the caller, why is the caller obligated to interrupt their operation to work it?

It's nice if the zero pointer will wait for the pileup to die down, but IME, many do not.  Heck, many aren't even really in the contest to start with (nor is the called station required to assume they are a participant since they do not seem to understand the rules).

Since you admit to the principle that in the case of any competition, they should wait, that's on the same continuum, in the end, as not working them at all.  It could be time better spent CQing for a station of value which, for all the zero pointer knows, is inaudible to them, but the called station is desperately trying to hear.

Note that I am not a big time contester and I do tend to work everyone that calls me.  But, I can understand why a serious contester wouldn't.

And, if we're talking about US stations, it just isn't that hard to work Canada for the zone.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »

And it allows everyone to avoid the issue where stations refuse to work zero-pointers, and/or don't log the zero-pointers.

That said, the calling stations MUST use common sense, and not interrupt a run for a zero pointer. Wait until the running station calls CQ, and does not get any response from the 'pointers'.

It's not that much different from working dupes.

That's what I do.  I wait until the station in my zone has a slow period.  A lot of times I work my own zone during the last day of the contest, maybe the last couple hours, but one has to be careful doing that or you may miss your own zone.

That type of behavior is very unsportsmanlike.  The big guns are in the same boat and must also work their own zone.  I wonder how one of those stations not logging their own zone would like it if I didn't log them.

Chris  NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: