The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QUICK & DIRTY CW QUESTION  (Read 1473 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »

Someone mentioned "which key to get".   Well I have more convential keys, but for $20 I feel this little 3d printed plastic key is actually pretty good.  It has good actual bearings in races and is well made.

I have this exact one, but they come in many colors and styles. They are American made by a ham

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lightweight-Micro-Blue-Morse-Code-Telegraph-Key-MADE-IN-USA/162804081077

You will need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio patch cord to plug into the key and the other end to plug into your rig. Or make up one yourself, but you can buy them for next to nothing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:12:21 AM by K0UA » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »

Carl:  What 0UA said.  Good info here because 8 times out of 10, whatever antenna you buy will be affected by how high it it is or something close to it.

So you should learn to know which way to go when changing the antenna length.  (Fold back - Not trim) Sometimes you get it wrong and have to backtrack.

UA is also correct in pointing out, "if you don't understand, come back and let us know."

This is also a good time to learn about FILTERS.  You should learn to filter out the complex voodoo radio from the stuff you understand and then build on what you do understand.  This whole hobby is a constant learning process.  Or can be!
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »

I would also highly recommend you make your first antenna, especially a simple dipole or inverted V.  You will learn from it, and it costs next to nothing to make. The most expensive part is some coax. But you can even get by with using some old RG59 or RG6 Television coax if you have some laying around.  Or go buy some RG8X or RG58 if you need to. You then need 3 insulators, they can be the plastic ones, or heck you can fabricate your own from plastic or I have even seen people use the plastic they use to hold soft drink bottles together in a six pack.  The wire can be scrap house wiring or any stinking wire you can get your hands on. As long as it is strong enough to support the weight. You need some trees or buildings or lumber or something to get it up in the air. You can build it as strong or as temporary as you want to.  And when it falls down, you can rebuild it.  All of this is a learning process.  I just wish I was there to help you in person.

It is all about getting something up and getting it to work.  Sure there is "more to the story" there always is, sure a good 1 to 1 balun is a good thing, sure an antenna analyzer is a very helpful tool, as are good SWR meters, but you can "get by" and get going with a lot less.   Remember the antenna you put up today may not be the one you will be using 5 years from now.  It is an evolving process, where you are always thinking "how can I improve things". 

"paralysis by analysis" is a real thing, and the enemy of good is perfect.   Sometime you just have to "go for it".
KD8GLK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »

If you didn't understand any of this let us know.  There is no shame in saying "I don't understand"  This is how we all learn.
[/quote]

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »

If you didn't understand any of this let us know.  There is no shame in saying "I don't understand"  This is how we all learn.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
[/quote]

Your welcome, and if it takes a phone call for me to explain something you need to know, that is cool too. You can send me an email with your number and we can communicate that way.  My email is good on QRZ.com.  I don't mind a bit trying to explain something to the best of my ability to someone.  I don't have all the answers, but hey even a blind hog finds an acorn now an then. Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: