The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Morse training tool  (Read 2295 times)
HB9GKP

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »

Hi,

Do you know Morse but still have to write everything down? Wish you could just hear it and understand? Want to improve your speed? Wondering if there’s a better way to practice?

Morse Camp is a new tool that can help. It builds listening skills without requiring you to write down anything and adapts as you get better. It’s free without ads (and will remain so), works on any modern web browser*, and was built with mobile phones in mind so you can use it on the go.

I’ve been using it myself to practice with good results. While I have ideas for how to develop it further, I need your help and input to make it truly good. Please check it out at https://morse.camp and let me know what you think!

* so far verified to work on Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.

73 de Petru HB9GKP

Morse Camp trains you to have fluent conversations in Morse code.
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:48:13 AM »

Another very useful tool! I like it! Thanks!

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »

Cool. Thanks.

Have distributed the link to danish CW enthusiasts.
KF7YRS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »

I Like it!   Thanks!
PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:55 AM »

While I have ideas for how to develop it further, I need your help and input to make it truly good. Please check it out at https://morse.camp and let me know what you think!

Good work. You are asking for comments:

General:
What is the added value with G4FON (off line advantage) and LCWO ?

Technical:
1 wordlength: no sense to pass 14 upwards (which is possible) because no words available

2, When I listen with PC and I want next word without showing result I have to click two times

3. The place where I have to click 2 times is a too small area

4. Make more languages thesauri available

Frans
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »

Petru.  Fun app and a good learning tool !  I developed a similar app some years ago for my CW Academy students called Head Copy Trainer.  It sends random letters, common words, phrases, call signs and numbers.  It also allows the user to input a word or phrase to work on.  It uses Thomas Schmidt's morseSynth program on the back end to generate the code. It's a work in progress but fairly useful.  It was the best I could do with my limited programming skills.  Feel free to barrow some ideas from my Head Copy Trainer.  I will send you a link upon request. 

Here are my comments...

1.  Although I understand why you did it, there is too much clicking needed to advance to the next word.  It gets tiring quickly.  I would just display the decoded text within a few seconds of sending it and move to the next word.  Make this time period user adjustable.  If the user gets it wrong and wants a repeat then they can click on a button for a repeat.  Or do what I recommend in 2 below.

2.  Allow user to input a word or phrase to be looped.  This allows user to practice word or phrases they are having trouble with.

3.  Next step is to add simple sentences and common phrases used in a CW QSO.  (My name is Petru, UR RST is 579, OP hr is Joe, QTH hr is MD, WX hr is cold, etc)

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:40:59 AM »

well - - It's a Good 'Un
 Cool

found it no trouble to advance up to the next word:
- had to knock the Speed Down && the Tone UP ..
otherwise - - it's Now Bookmarked.
 Grin

it's O/S independent, too.
 Tongue
N0PP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »

That's already a great tool, thanks a lot!
I have a few suggestions:

• * I second the request for a custom words mode
  • * A numbers mode would be nice
  • * Wait period between repetitions -- it's a bit long for my taste. It would be nice if that was a customizable parameter

HB9GKP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 09:17:35 AM »

Thank you all for the feedback - much appreciated! Point by point:

What is the added value with G4FON (off line advantage) and LCWO ?

Right now very little:
  • * ability to run wherever a compatible web browser runs, i.e. Windows/Mac/Linux as well as smartphones (this is also true with LCWO although their UI is more geared towards desktops)
  • * focus on developing head copy skills and adapting to the user skill as it develops

Even as I add more features, I plan to remain focused on head copy and fluent sending and thus G4FON and LCWO will likely remain better choices at for complete beginners. I've used LCWO myself to learn the alphabet and would definitely recommend others to do the same.

Note that Morse Camp also works offline wherever the browser supports the required feature to enable it (https://caniuse.com/#search=serviceworker).

wordlength: no sense to pass 14 upwards (which is possible) because no words available
Next step is to add simple sentences and common phrases used in a CW QSO.  (My name is Petru, UR RST is 579, OP hr is Joe, QTH hr is MD, WX hr is cold, etc)

Fully agreed -- multiple word sentences are the next big feature I'll be working on after the post-launch issues are all shaken out and I get some free time.

When I listen with PC and I want next word without showing result I have to click two times
The place where I have to click 2 times is a too small area
Although I understand why you did it, there is too much clicking needed to advance to the next word.  It gets tiring quickly.  I would just display the decoded text within a few seconds of sending it and move to the next word.  Make this time period user adjustable.  If the user gets it wrong and wants a repeat then they can click on a button for a repeat.

Interesting suggestion, I like it! Like you realized, it's like this now because it uses the number of repeats as a feedback signal to repeat difficult words more often. I'll have to think of a way to implement an auto mode like you suggest while still keeping the UI simple.

Make more languages thesauri available
I second the request for a custom words mode

Good idea, added it to the roadmap (https://forum.morse.camp/t/morse-camp-roadmap/16)

A numbers mode would be nice

Yup - somebody already requested it (https://forum.morse.camp/t/play-numbers-in-common-formats/41) and it's on the roadmap.

Wait period between repetitions -- it's a bit long for my taste. It would be nice if that was a customizable parameter

Agreed & added to the roadmap!

Allow user to input a word or phrase to be looped.  This allows user to practice word or phrases they are having trouble with.

Added to roadmap as well -- this might need to be a separate section in order to keep things simple.

I developed a similar app some years ago for my CW Academy students called Head Copy Trainer.  It sends random letters, common words, phrases, call signs and numbers.  It also allows the user to input a word or phrase to work on.  It uses Thomas Schmidt's morseSynth program on the back end to generate the code. It's a work in progress but fairly useful.  It was the best I could do with my limited programming skills.  Feel free to barrow some ideas from my Head Copy Trainer.  I will send you a link upon request. 

This is http://morsecodemasters.com/trainer/Examples/hct.html, right? Very nice, it's one of the things I found while researching for tools to practice head copy. Thank you for the invitation -- I might borrow some ideas indeed. morseSynth itself was an inspiration to the player currently used for Morse Camp.

Petru

N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »

Thanks Petru,

Yes, that's my web app. Feel free to barrow what you want. Looking forward to seeing your next release. 

Joe

N3HEE

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
W1WBL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »

Excellent--I have been looking for something like this I can use my phone with--Nice Work, TY and 73-W1WBL Wayne
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »

@Petru HB9GKP

Thanks fer the credit on your website. You must have had a hard time to read the article in Dutch language, hi.

55 & 73
Wim PA0WV

HB9GKP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »

You must have had a hard time to read the article in Dutch language, hi.

Google translate helped Smiley and you had a few posts here about it in English, which is how I found out about it in the first place.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

HB9FXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:28 AM »

Nice tool, great job! There's no such thing as too many CW trainers. I really like the dark interface. I'll test it on my other devices, but it runs flawlessly on my linux laptop. Great roadmap too... if you implement all the planned features I could really see myself using your app more than mine

Seiuchy, free morse QSO quiz and simulator
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »

Yes thanks for the tool. A bit like the good old Morse Machine but just for word training.

Have used N3HEEs files but for some reason I cannot get into his site anymore.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: