The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF in the shack  (Read 4052 times)
KB3KCJ

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »

I have tried many methods of trying to eliminate RF.  The Yaesu FT-950 seems to be famous for these types of problems.  I have connected a copper wire to the equipment and ran it along the floor of the shack.  This did a lot of good; however, short of ferrite beads, just wondering if anyone ever used an old car radiator?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »

Common mode is coming from your antenna system.  "Ground mass" isn't a solution for that.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »

I have tried many methods of trying to eliminate RF.  The Yaesu FT-950 seems to be famous for these types of problems.  I have connected a copper wire to the equipment and ran it along the floor of the shack.  This did a lot of good; however, short of ferrite beads, just wondering if anyone ever used an old car radiator?

Describe your antenna system, and the band/frequency where you are having issues.  I agree with Mark. I've never cured any RFI issues by grounding at the transmitter.  You have something gone awry in your antenna system.

Jim
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »

I had the same problem some years ago. My fix where to remove everything exept the TRX and the antenna. When testing no rfi where in the shack. Than I starter to add what I had remote.  In the end a swr meter that caused the problem.
K8BYP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:46 AM »

"Common mode is coming from your antenna system.  "Ground mass" isn't a solution for that."

LOVE GOOD ADVICE!!!!

DONT fall for the hoax of "grounding something is the cure for any and all RFI problems"

RFI must be stopped at the SOURCE. Gimmicks like grounding can make it worse.

"grounding' rf thru a wire (for a crude example) then makes  a wire thats also radiating energy- somewhere else.

"Fix the antenna system" is usually the best advice. If using kluges like ladder line and baluns, collect the whole works up and throw it in a bonfire.

The real sneaker is an RF connection thats not shielded such as a SO-239 Tee with an open port or a coax PL259 with braid missing.

Theres no grounding in my shack, and no RFI. Everything is tuned properly.

Grounding, ESPECIALLY that creates loops, is a mess...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: