The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie DX'er question: Is 17M exceptional lately?  (Read 1058 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »

Relatively new ham (3 years of ops).  Like DX.  Still all SSB but just starting digital (FT8).  QTH is central MN.

I read and hear a lot about how bad the bands are and lack any reference since they were already getting bad when I got my license.

Erected a hexbeam at 40' a few weeks ago and have been kind of amazed at all of the mid day SSB DX'ing I'm getting on 17M.  South Africa, VK, JA, Ireland, the UK, Namabia, and others.  Heard VK today on short and long path at the same time.

Antenna works well on 20M but hasn't made a similar improvement to 17M in DX over previous antenna (G5RV at 70') so ...

Question:  has 17M been exceptionally good daytime for the past month or two and, if yes, why?

thx in  advance to anyone taking the time to educate a rookie.

KD0ZGW
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »

Action tends to flock to the highest open band and that's been 17M for a while now.

To some extent it's like the drunk guy looking for his keys under the streetlight - "that's where the light is".

Although 15M has been open decently to EU from my QTH sometimes for a few hours this past fall, it's been a long long time since I heard JA on 15M.

What I've been enjoying on the shortest days of the year, are long path openings to JA and Asia on 30M around my sundown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: