The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New English?  (Read 3926 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »

Back in the late 1960's, those of us who were apprentices at The Marconi Co., Ltd., in Chelmsford in the UK were mandated to go on a Technical Writing Course. Personally, I found it interesting, and I do, somewhere, have a certificate to say that I have a professional qualification in Technical Writing. Where that has proved useful is that when writing articles for magazines, the less sub-editing they do because of poor English, the more you get paid - except for ARRL's NCJ who don't pay anyway! But a number of magazines have paid well over the usual pay rate because they have less subediting to do.

So good English (which is not necessarily good American) can pay financial dividends...

It possibly helped me that having gone to an old fashioned grammar school - although there's some argument about that. It could trace its foundation back to the year 989 AD - it appears that two of the Pilgrim fathers went there and we felt that the teaching hadn't progressed since at least the 15th century, if not before!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »

.WOW.  WOW and wow get used interchangeably here from one source.  I think this needs to be looked into.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »

.WOW.  WOW and wow get used interchangeably here from one source.  I think this needs to be looked into.

No. Let it die on the vine. Please.

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »

He has migrated to a caps-locked “END OF TRANSMISSION” on every single post recently.  I think the man amuses himself each time.  You’d think it would get old for him after oh, maybe the first one.

Of course you do hear “roger, roger, roger” on HF these days.  Lots of redundancy in that world the Captain so adores.  Wow.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:06:40 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 01:18:08 AM »

roger roger roger

oh, nevermind  Grin

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »

I know how to spell BACKSTABBING .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6h1BV7FZqs

I also know  how to spell GROW - UP  /  GROWN-UP  /  GROWED UP ...WOW   OR  wow........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5DVGXBosIA

EXCITING.........

OLDER AND  WISER..........

..............HAVE A BLESSED DAY.........GOD  BLESSS.      BE SAFE.............

............................................END of TransMISSION.............................
  Correction #3 for the year....Many more for the year. JUST SAYING..WOW...

I also know how to spell STALKER  OR STALKING  OR STALKED  WOW   or wow........

...........................END OF TRANSMISSION # 2...........................................................
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:08:18 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »

...........................END OF TRANSMISSION # 2...........................................................

Please. These forums are a two-way street. Making provocative comments and getting predictable push back is not stalking.  You like to stir things up. Cool. But don't play the victim when you get some blow back. That's just sad. If you want to dish it out then you should be able to take it.
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »

...But don't play the victim when you get some blow back. That's just sad. If you want to dish it out then you should be able to take it...
I know not to whom this statement was directed, however, it seems the essence of a typical response today is...    What?   Be an adult?  Be willing to suffer the consequences for my actions?   You've got to be kidding!!

Such has been taught ad nauseam in the educational system for a few decades now.   Pity!!

Regards, Mike

Pics and bold print are usually links.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »

I worked as a professional editor for a dozen years. Back then, I learned new things about the English language every day and continue to learn every day now.

One thing I find wonderful about the spread of personal electronic "devices" and the Internet is the renaissance of writing as an activity. Not so long ago, the art of letter-writing was fading and had been replaced largely by the telephone.

I am not surprised that the writing we see on a forum like this one, or in the comments sections of newspaper websites, or in emails, sometimes has poor spelling and grammar. In the "old days" we saw a much smaller volume of writing, and when we did, it had often gone through some kind of filter -- a proofreader, a secretary, a gatekeeper of some kind.

I for one rejoice in the resurgence of the written word, even in its truncated "texting" or "Twitter" form!

As for me, I still have a box of letter-writing paper and a real fountain pen, and sometimes write actual letters to people, with stamps on them!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »

I know how to spell BACKSTABBING .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6h1BV7FZqs

I also know  how to spell GROW - UP  /  GROWN-UP  /  GROWED UP ...WOW   OR  wow........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5DVGXBosIA

EXCITING.........

OLDER AND  WISER..........

..............HAVE A BLESSED DAY.........GOD  BLESSS.      BE SAFE.............

............................................END of TransMISSION.............................
  Correction #3 for the year....Many more for the year. JUST SAYING..WOW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lfXnVKMwgE

http://2damnfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Red-Forman-Meme-On-Why-Bad-Things-Happen-To-Eric-On-That-70s-Show.jpg

WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »

I know how to spell BACKSTABBING ....EXCITING.........

Back to the topic at hand, how to spell correctly. I notice someone here finally noticed what the red squiggly line means when they are typing. There is progress after all!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:32:28 PM by WZ7U » Logged

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »

I worked as a professional editor for a dozen years. Back then, I learned new things about the English language every day and continue to learn every day now.

One thing I find wonderful about the spread of personal electronic "devices" and the Internet is the renaissance of writing as an activity. Not so long ago, the art of letter-writing was fading and had been replaced largely by the telephone.

I am not surprised that the writing we see on a forum like this one, or in the comments sections of newspaper websites, or in emails, sometimes has poor spelling and grammar. In the "old days" we saw a much smaller volume of writing, and when we did, it had often gone through some kind of filter -- a proofreader, a secretary, a gatekeeper of some kind.

I for one rejoice in the resurgence of the written word, even in its truncated "texting" or "Twitter" form!

As for me, I still have a box of letter-writing paper and a real fountain pen, and sometimes write actual letters to people, with stamps on them!

I've always kept a large dictionary around.  Ensuring proper spelling has always been a simple matter (for those with any motivation).
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 02:28:41 PM »

I have Merriam Websters on a perma tab on my home page, just for the occasion when typing on the computer. I'm pretty good, but I make enough errors to warrant having the resource available. If only some others would do something similar....

It only helps improve your image in that even if no one likes what you have to say, at least it's spelled right.  Grin

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »

I have Merriam Websters on a perma tab on my home page, just for the occasion when typing on the computer. I'm pretty good, but I make enough errors to warrant having the resource available. If only some others would do something similar....

It only helps improve your image in that even if no one likes what you have to say, at least it's spelled right.  Grin

I tend to factor in spelling, and proper usage into my first impression of a person.
I don't consider forums official correspondence, but try to remember basic rules, i before e, except after c. My android phone lets that one slip by most times, so I've been double checking.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »

"irregardless" is in the Webster's.

So's "ain't".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: