Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jupiter PA Alignment?  (Read 1238 times)
KG9H
Member

Posts: 77


WWW

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »

Folks, I have a Jupiter that is apparently mis-aligned.
On CW, with the readout at 55%, I get 100 watts out but if I raise it higher then 55%, the power goes to about 140 watts and then my power supply limits it but I believe the radio can do 175-200 watts.
I get 100 watts out with 16 amps.  At that point the internal power meter reads 28 watts
If I lower it from 55% to 32A%, I measure 50 watts out, and the internal meter reads 19 watts
If I switch the internal meter to SWR, it reads 15.9:1 SWR all the time.

There was a modification I heard of (can't seem to find) that said you can do 150-200 watts out with the Jupiter, assume that is what was done.  Does anyone have this mod?
If I cannot find it then I figure I will probably adjust R-258 (PA current limit) to get the 100 watts out....  Then tackle the SWR circuit.  It is odd the internal meter only reads 28 watts when I measure 100 watts out..  Anyone ever seen his before?
Logged
KG9H
Member

Posts: 77


WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »

Well not finding "anything" on this info for a Service Alignment, I looked again at the schematic.
Because I had more then 110 watts out and well upwards of 160 watts, I elected to turn down R-258 as my current was well in access of 20A.  As I turned it down, of course the power went down.  I keep raising the power control on the radio / turning down R-258 until I achieve 100%.  At that point the power was measured at 110 watts.  When I varied the power control it paralleled the external power meter.  Then I adjusted R-83 for 110 watts when power was turned up to maximum and finally turned R-86 for 1:1 into a 50-ohm load what I was using all along.
Now the power set when at maximum is 110 Watts and the radio says 110 watts.  As I turned it down to say 50% I am putting out about 50 watts. 
I checked and had to touch up R-258 and R-83 just slightly but now it is working on all bands, all modes and power on the radio is close to measured.

So as I suspected someone along the past had tweaked the Jupiter for 160 watts and diddled the other pots till it was just non-operational.
I now have a fully functional Jupiter.

Done, de KG9H
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!