Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6METER TVI  (Read 956 times)
AC4M

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2000, 10:33:24 PM »

MY NEIGHBOR IS USING A CORDLESS PHONE AND WHAT ARE SOME SIMPLE WAYS TO GET OUT OF HER PHONE IVE HEARD OF PHONE FILTERS BUT THAT PROBABLY WOULD NOT FIX HER PHONE I THINK THE PHONE SHE IS USING IS A CHEAP 49MHZ PHONE IVE HEARD OF MAKING COMMON COAX. CHOKE BUT WOULD THAT WORK AND THE ANTENNAS ARE GROUNDED WITH COAX WITH BRAID SLID BACK A LITTLE TO MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT TX RF VIA GROUND WIRE AND I HAVE MULTIPLE GROUND RODS NOT DAISY CHAINED EITHER PLSE HELP ON THIS TUFFY TVI OR SHOULD I SAY TELE INTERFERENCE

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2000, 08:38:15 AM »

Geez this is hard to read.  Try some punctuation and small letters (DON'T SHOUT, IT'S RUDE!).
AC4M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2000, 06:00:57 AM »

Well i'll try better next time. thanks
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2000, 08:46:40 AM »

There are several ways for your RF to "get into" some device like a phone.  The classic way is through external wires (power supply cords or the regular phone cables) right into the electronics inside (shielded cables, toroids help this).

However, if your neighbors' unit really is a 49 MHz device, you might not be able to "fix" it.  Afterall, it IS a receiver by design and your 6m frequencies are pretty close to the phone's design frequency of 49MHz so your "interference" might be coming right into the phone's RF front-end.  I imagine that the phone's front-end filtering could (SHOULD!) be better but that's a tough argument to win with a neighbor.

You might be able to relocate the base unit and help this somewhat, but you'd have to try it.

In the end the best "solution" might be to try out a new 900MHz unit (they aren't too expensive these days). If it works, you can offer to "trade" the unit with your neighbors 49MHz phone.  While it is somewhat a "bad" thing to "fix" RFI problems by buying neighbors new equipment (you set a precedent for future issues), if you have no other complaints, you might win a friend.

Good luck and 73
Mike
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2000, 03:12:40 PM »

The absolute easiest way to deal with this IS to buy them a 900 MHz phone.  They're cheap and, depending upon the neighbors, they will usually be so impressed (and pleased) with your efforts to keep the peace, that they won't bother you again.

I used to get into my neighbor's 49 MHz baby monitor AND their VCR (even though my VCR in the next room wasn't bothered at all).  Although some folks would prefer to posture ("I have a right to operate and it's their equipment that's at fault!"), for about $150 total I bought myself complete peace of mind and freedom from late night phone calls.

Not only that, but now my neighbors ask me who I've been talking to and what countries I've worked.

Bob
K5IQ
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2000, 11:33:27 PM »

As a quick FYI to K5IQ:

I call a weekly six meter FM simplex net on 50.590 MHz.

One of the regulars in the net works with a neighbor of mine who hears me 'Q-5' in their baby monitor.

And has been known to listen for their amusement.

Go Figure.

Maybe my jokes aren't as bad as some people say they are.

In any case, I agree the best solution is to buy a reasonably decent 900 MHz cordless phone for the neighbors and keep everybody happy.

Then ask them about keeping their dog off your lawn...

<grin>

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: