Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000D or 1000MP MkV??  (Read 452 times)
KE4AQP

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2000, 09:21:58 AM »

Yes, it's the question of the year......

I've wanted to buy a FT-1000D for years now, but I recently heard from multiple long-time contesters that if they were buying a new rig today, they would not buy one without IF-DSP.  Yet, the QST tested specs of the 1000D look hard to improve on, and none of the modern day IF-DSP rigs look as strong.

I guess we'll only know when QST reviews the Mark V, but underlying the Class A PA, EDSP, IDBT and added features, is the pure receiver performance of the 1000MP Mk V basically the original 1000MP or have there been significant improvements to the MP-5 AS A RECEIVER to bring it into the league of the 1000D?

Or does the 1000MP MkV not need the same blocking dynamic range and 3rd order intercept ratings in order to perform as well, due to the technological enhancements in the unit?  One could then say the same of the 756PRO?

I'm hoping to EVENTUALLY buy one of these, if I can ever decide.  Cmon, QST, I'm waiting......

What are your thoughts??

Thanks,

John KE4AQP
ke4aqp@email.com

K5VV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2000, 10:39:08 PM »

My tests revealed that the Ten Tec Omni VI Plus beat the
1000D.  At the time, I didn't have access to the 1000MP
or MkV, but I would strongly suspect that the Omni VI
would beat them too. If you would like details of the
test, you can e-mail me at hopper@gmi.net.
WT8Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2000, 04:06:01 PM »

I have owned the Ten-Tec Omni VI, Icom 756 and used in the past a FT1000MP. None come close to the transmit audio or the overall selectivity of my FT1000D. DSP, I feel is in no way a replacement for a good crystal or mechanical filter system. I have yet to hear DSP in a radio that really adds to the copy. I may have observed some token improvement,  but at the cost of poor receive audio. The last point is the overall FEEL of the FT1000D, it has a quality to it the others can only hope for. The FT1000D is a proven reliable radio that others come close to, but still have not matched,IMHO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: