Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the microphone trips the circuit breakers  (Read 395 times)
KB9PNZ

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2000, 10:09:33 PM »

Every time I try to speak, the power in part of my apartment is knocked out, and I have to go to the circuit panel next to the kitchen to restore the power.

I should note that I didn't seem to have this problem before I rearranged my shack, when I used a different electrical outlet.  I guess I need to buy an extension cord and use one of the other outlets.

Has this happened to anyone before?  What is going on?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2000, 12:03:50 AM »

Most likely a weak circuit breaker, as I've seen them false-trip when they get past their prime. Or, that particular branch circuit has something else plugged into it that draws a fair amount of current, like maybe a portable heater or laser printer?

You can test for what's on the circuit by tripping the breaker manually, then check for "things that don't work any more" and add up the total load from the rating plates on the back panels. Substitute the radio on the same outlet with a lamp rigged with a 100 watt bulb and that should tell you if the radio has anything to do with it.

Betcha' you have a breaker gone weak.

Never change a password on a Friday                
W8GN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2000, 08:16:56 PM »

You didn't mention if it's a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) that is tripping... this is common problem with those devices.  My guess is that this is your problem - especially since it all worked before you moved things around.  

You can solve this with artifical grounds (like MFJ) or a couple of radial wires.

So, if it's not a weak breaker, this may be your problem.  I've got a GFI that trips on 40 when I run power.  Someday I'm gonna fix that!

Bruce/W8GN

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2000, 06:17:49 PM »

I would suspect you had better check your outlet for loose connections and worn wall outlets check the wiring at the outlets. maybe just cleaning em will help. make sure your not creating an octopus. An underrated extension cord could cause a voltage drop. even the R.F. could be a suspect if you don't have a good ground. If a else fails check with an A.C. Amp-meter even at 15 amps or -1500 watts out of one circuit use a portable heater this should tell you if things are OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: