Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF mobile ant HELP!! Frustrated!!  (Read 377 times)
W9JCM

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2000, 01:15:49 AM »

I am using or trying to use a 4 mag mount setup with a diamond hv7 ant. its
good on 2 but hf sucks. also,, i get the mount and it has a so-239 on it and
then a wire soldered and i am supposed to hook it up to the a dam 3/8-24.. what the hell is that??? where is my
uhf type mount.. so i soldered a 1 foot chunck of belden to the so239
screwed the ant on it and hooked up my coax.  I think i am going to just
order a comet lip mount with a uhf assembly or should i get the uhf assembly
and drill a hole for it in the mag mount setup and try it that way.. any
ideas guys?

w9jcm
DA1TJO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2000, 03:18:24 AM »

Yes the Diamond models have an so239 end. You will need an pl259 mount such as that from Comet...I believe it is mount model RS-731. The reason that HF probably does not work well probably deals eith the mag mount you are trying to use. The antenna needs a good ground to the body/frame. Im not sure a mag-mount will do this. Even if you are grounded to the roof or trunk...that body part must in turn be grounded to the frame eventually. I have the MV3A, similar to HV7 and have had great signals without any problem on any bands...but I am not using a mag-mount. Good luck and hope this helps. You may try contacting Diamond for further help. DA1TJO/N0TJO
KB9UMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2000, 04:31:12 AM »

Everyone has different situations but my suggestion is to get rid of the mag mount all together.  Put on a decent mount that will give you a good ground and support...if you are worried about damaging your vehicle the mag mount will do far more harm than just putting in a good antenna system.  KB9UMT  Don
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2000, 01:58:21 PM »

First, what kind of vehicle do you have??? Second, why a mag mount for hf anyway?? Give us more information so we can help you!!! You can make anything as long as you keep an open mind. If you have a pick-up, you have several options available. If you have a car, you still have some options to work with. Trailer hitches make excellent antenna supports. They make mounts that go in your truck beds stake pocket. NO HOLES REQUIRED!!! On a car, MFJ makes a lip mount that will work on your trunk lid or a rear hatch of a mini van or SUV. Get the picture?Huh
 Use the internet to your advantage.

Good luck and 73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: