Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater ID?  (Read 597 times)
K7UQT

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2000, 11:39:54 AM »

Am I wrong in thinking that a repeater has to ID every ten minutes with its callsign followed by the word "repeater".  I listen to one frequently that IDs with only the callsign.
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2000, 02:38:59 PM »

An interesting question that I thought I knew the answer to; however, I looked up part 97 on the internet and guess what?  97.119 station identification and 97.205 repeater operation say nothing about requiring /r after the call sign!

I will continue looking through the rest of the rules since I obviously need a refresher!

Paul
AC5DK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2000, 04:11:33 AM »

I used to be an assistant repeater coordinator... some years back when the FCC revamped the rules, they dropped the requirement to distinguish /R and /A for repeaters and auxiliary service transmitters. This helped out with linked systems and such so as not to confuse between /R (the actual repeater transmitter) and /A (a repeater link); one ID would work for both. BUT some folks carried it to far. Being too cheap to install an IDer, they said that the person transmitting over the repeater was identifying the repeater with his own callsign... UH-UH! Doesn't work. A.) The trustee's callsign must be used. B.) Only a LISTED control operator could make that ID if not done by automatic means. C.) What if someone keyed up and didn't identify... if a control operator didn't follow up with an ID, then the repeater would be in non-compliance. MANY times there is no control operator monitoring.

Which, by the way, is one of my peeves... if a repeater has an autopatch, ANY time that the autopatch is enabled (where anyone besides a control op can use it) a control operator MUST BE PRESENT at a CONTROL POINT. Why? because it's third party traffic and the rules don't allow "automatic" operation when third party might take place. And a control point means someplace where the control op can shut down the repeater/autopatch to insure IMMEDIATE compliance. And the repeater's input doesn't count. If the guy is doing something illegal over the autopatch, you can't key up and shut him down WHILE he's talking! And besides, if it's a 2m repeater, you can't use 2m as a control link... only 222.1 MHz and above...

Sorry for the soapbox, I did go on a bit there... Nevertheless, I hope it was enlightening.

73, Kevin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: