The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UHF/Cruise control  (Read 1342 times)
N4YQU

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2000, 11:39:34 AM »

I was in a friends SUV (a Ford Excursion) Riding along the Interstate. He had the cruise control set and all was well, Until I keyed up his UHF rig. At this point, The accellerator went to the floor,and the vehicle Began to pick up speed. When the Mike was un-keyed, The accelerator went back to normal. We tried this several times, with the same results every time. VHF didnt affect the cruise control. HAs anyone else experienced this, and is there any fix other than turning off cruise, or not using UHF?

73    N4YQU
NONEYET

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2000, 01:15:58 PM »

You could try to put a snap-around toroid around the wire harness going to the cruise control module(in the engine compartment) if it's a separate box from the engine control module (which it is on my Contour). Also make sure it's grounded well--sometimes, the grounding straps on vehicles can be loose or corroded. The latter is due to age and the former is due (usually) to careless mechanics.

Additionally, it may be necessary to put a toroid on the wire harness to the vehicle speed sensor, which is found on the transmission. It is a hall-effect type sensor, so it's an active device that has a connection to 12V.

You can find the cruise control module by looking in the shop manual or following both cables attached to the throttle body. One will go to the gas pedal and the other to the cruise control module (which contains both the servo and electronics).
AC5WA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2000, 06:26:37 PM »

I had an 1982 Oldsmobile diesel that would go crazy with UHF.  The transmitter did not even have to be in the car.  My wife had it happen while a DPS trooper was passing her.  He keyed his radio and the car took off, well as much as a diesel olds can!  He thought she was feeding him a line of well, you know.  Yes, she got a ticket.  When she complained to the judge (JP), He offered to have the charge changed to operating defective equipment which would have cost more. She took Defensive driving and stopped using the cruise.  Near by mobil telephones would also drive it crazy.  If you got near one on the freeway while the cruise was on, it would leave'em in a cloud of black smoke.

I operated HF and VHF out of that car and both caused trouble with the cruise control speeding up and slowing down while I was transmitting. But with UHF? an IC4AT HT, 1~2 watts, transmitting inside the car was enough to send it into passing gear.  The only way to get it to let up was to turn off the cruise or hit the brake.  It was not "fun."

I had bad RFI from that car as well as to it.  When the torque converter would lock up the HF noise would go to S9+ on 75,40 and 20M.  The only way way I could stand to operate HF was to lock it out of over drive.

The dealer acted like I should have been happy that it was running.  I was, but I would have liked to be able to operate from the car.  One of the main reasons I got a diesel was to avoid ignition noise.  It was a BIG MISTAKE in this case!
KC5SJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2000, 10:28:40 PM »

I also had a problem with my cruise control.  I HAD a 90 Bronco II unti l2//18/98.  I was at an ATM machine.   After I finished using the machine I wanted to move up a few feet to rebuckle my seat belt and stuff my purse.  

I put my foot on the brake and shifted to drive,  I got whip lash IMMEDIATELY.  In front of me, there was a large concrete fountain, and a very large bank sign.   I turned my wheel to avoid these two obstacles and headed for the street.  A car started to turn in the street.  I cut my wheel shorter and prayed that I would not hit the ar.  A witness said that I crossed the street on 2 wheels.  I turned ainto a fine little oak tree in order to stop.  If I had not, I would probably have wound up on the feeder street of a very busy freeway.  The entire episode last about 5 seconds.

I am in litigation with Ford,  I want to find as many as possible other people who had similar problems.  This could be another "FIRESONE".   It seems that Ford used the same cruise control mechanism for all models up to 1995.

73's
KC5SJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2000, 10:29:37 PM »

I also had a problem with my cruise control.  I HAD a 90 Bronco II unti l2//18/98.  I was at an ATM machine.   After I finished using the machine I wanted to move up a few feet to rebuckle my seat belt and stuff my purse.  

I put my foot on the brake and shifted to drive,  I got whip lash IMMEDIATELY.  In front of me, there was a large concrete fountain, and a very large bank sign.   I turned my wheel to avoid these two obstacles and headed for the street.  A car started to turn in the street.  I cut my wheel shorter and prayed that I would not hit the ar.  A witness said that I crossed the street on 2 wheels.  I turned ainto a fine little oak tree in order to stop.  If I had not, I would probably have wound up on the feeder street of a very busy freeway.  The entire episode last about 5 seconds.

I am in litigation with Ford,  I want to find as many as possible other people who had similar problems.  This could be another "FIRESONE".   It seems that Ford used the same cruise control mechanism for all models up to 1995.

73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: