Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions for FRS radios  (Read 377 times)
N3JIY

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2000, 01:07:41 AM »

Thinking of getting FRS walkie-talkies for the family for Christmas....
Is there anything to look for or to avoid in choosing Family_Radio_Service walkie-talkies?  I have not used them, so I don't know what features to look for...I'm basically just thinking of having a radio to keep track of the children who go to their friends' house to play after school, or around the block to ride bikes.
Are these radios pretty much all the same?  Is this a good Christmas present?  I remember when I
was a child my sister and I got Sears walkie-talkies, which turned out to be single-channel CB radios.  At the time I liked having a walkie-talkie, until I found out how well they worked...
Would providing these transceivers help to encourage interest in learning to use ham radios ?  
Thanks in advance for your input, if you have used FRS transceivers  and would like to share your thoughts.  I'd certainly appreciate hearing them.

Alan
N3TSN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2000, 10:28:03 AM »

I have 2 Motorola Talk about 250 Radios
They are hard to get used to ( the PTT is in the center of the radio) Dicks Sporting goods has the best price as does target 59.00 Each after rebate. They work good I use them for hunting and to comunicate with the wife when Im out on the bac 40.

My cousin has two fr 50 motorolas they work just as well and are cheaper.  The TA 250 is a good buy
hope this helps

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2000, 10:33:03 PM »

Another vote for the Moto FR50:
a. mechanically robust
b. run forever on AA (as opposed to AAA) cells
c. perform nicely -- pretty good audio
d. cost effective (read: cheap -- $40 or so).

73 and enjoy!
KE4AQP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2000, 10:18:05 AM »

I did a LOT of research on this topic and, after looking at the all the top brands about 6 months ago I decided on the Icom IC-4008A.  Very feature rich, much to lengthy to go into here.  Has standard mic and ext spk jacks on top that allow me to use my Maha external spek/mic, as well as earbud/mic combos.  Great range, runs on 3 standard AA cells.  IMHO these are built very well, sound great, check them out at www.icomamerica.com/frs.  Bought mine from www.bills2way.com, great price, service and advice.

BTW, this first pair I bought were so cool I bought four more for the kids and grandparents!  73s, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: