Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KL-501 HF LINEAR AMPLIFIER MADE BY RM ITALY  (Read 17588 times)
K5DAM

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »

Does anyone know anything about this line of products? the above was found on ebay and the company is at www.rmitaly.com .  attractive pricing for these solid state amps but I cannot find enough specs to understand what these units can do and how much of my alternator's output they are going to eat <G>  Also, how noisy are they? RF leakage in the truck?  damage to the truck's computor???
thanks  chas
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28:47 PM »

Junk CB amplifiers, for the most part.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »

They may say "Amateur" on the outside, but they aren't much more than CB amps. The reason you don't see them here is, they can't get FCC certification.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »

The RM-501 uses the Thompson SD1406 transistors. The device is rated for 150 watts out at 40 VDC. At 12 VDC the device will be lucky to put out 40 watts each. The amplifier uses four of the devices and a dual push pull arrangement. The amplifier has no output filtering and as a result I doubt it would pass FCC certification process.

RM Italy does make a HLA-300V, 450 watt amplifier that has full auto band switch low pass filtering, with power meter and remote keying. I have tested the amplifier and it passes FCC certification but has not been certificated as of yet. You can buy them for about $360.

You have to remember that not all amplifiers are designed for the US market. The HLA-300V is a very well built amplifier. If you buy the HLA-300V you will need a 50 amp. supply in the vehicle.

Some of their cheaper offerings are for third world needs but their higher priced amplifiers are as good or better than what is made in Mississippi for the ham market. As for FCC certification about half of the used ham amplifiers have never been certified by the FCC. It is up to the amateur to make sure their transmission are within FCC guidelines.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:25:16 PM »

"Some of their cheaper offerings are for third world needs but their higher priced amplifiers are as good or better than what is made in Mississippi for the ham market."

I love it ! Ok i admit i own 2 of those mississippi Amp's both 811 tube models. so shame on me i guess. but i could not have said it better in a general statement. Smiley
KD5OEI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »

The SD1446 is made by STMicroelectronics (formerly SGS-Thomson) and is rated for 100W at 30MHz at 12.5VDC. The power is guaranteed 70W at 50MHz. It has a 183W power dissipation. The transistor is excellent for 6-meter amplifiers.

The SD1446 is a 12.5 V Class C epitaxial silicon NPN planar transistor designed primarily for land mobile transmitter applications. This device utilizes emitter ballasting and is extremely stable and capable of withstanding high VSWR under operating conditions.

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/2805/sd1446.pdf

The current datasheet's figure 3 shows class C operation. If it is properly biased, it does well as a broadband linear amplifier. In case of any RF transistor, much depends on the design of the amplifier.

As for RM Italy's amplifiers, I tend to look at the power ratings and consider them to be more like DC input than RF output. The regulations for rating amplifiers may be different in other places. This is based on the assumption that one would not receive more than 100W PEP per transistor. So, count the transistors.. The biggest one I believe has four. And in case of CB linear suppositions, note that several models have built in frequency sensing circuits to switch band pass filters into the output of the amplifier. Not really a CB amp, then. They are inexpensive ham radio amplifiers, unless you put one on the CB.. then it is an inexpensive ham radio amplifier being used as an expensive CB amplifier..
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »

"Class C" is fine for CW and FM use.  Not the best choice for AM, and definitely not for SSB.

If they were good amplifiers, I'm sure RMI would get them certified by the FCC for amateur use.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, though.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 10:06:08 AM »

FCC certification is an economics issue. If you only sell 100 amplifiers a year here in the US why pay the $15,000-20,000 for certification. If you lose sales it is still better not to bother from a bottom line perspective.

Incidentally many of the overseas export tube amplifiers being sold here in the US do not have FCC certification. The have a EU certification which is much the same but this is a gray area which the hams have exploited. As long as this doesn’t bit the FCC they have been turning a blind eye.

Many hams make a big deal of FCC certification but if you operate the amplifier incorrectly certified or not, your amplifier will not meet FCC requirements. It is up to the individual ham to be compliant in his operations.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:33:45 AM »

>>here in the US why pay the $15,000-20,000 for certification<<

Don't know what outfit you've been dealin' with, but somebody is rippin' you off, friend.  

Companies I've worked for typically pay about $200/hr, by the hour, with DFS devices costing about a thousand more on top.  

100 hours to certify a hamband linear amplifier seems like somebody is paddin' the chit just a little bit...

!
G4ZOW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 01:49:21 PM »

...and I thought the FCC had done away with the need for putting equipment through a 'ripoff' testing house if one is able to carry our self-certification as we are here in the EU.

Save yourself $10K and go DIY.

Phil G4ZOW
Transmitters 'R' Us
http://www.transmittersrus.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »

Please, "self policing" has been bad enough!  
XQ1SCQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »

I have one my mobile amplifier RM KL501, connected to a YAESU FT857D and resonators in parallel, the RM20S and RM40S, in RX have a gain of 10 dB, 210W in 40 meters, and 240W in 20 meters, with 34 and 22 watts of excitement, if you're listening 58 with the radio, with AMPLIFIER 59 +10, I'm very happy with the performance, now I'm seeing GETTING THE MAXIMUM POWER of all mobile station. RECOMMEND IT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: