KL-501 HF LINEAR AMPLIFIER MADE BY RM ITALY

(1/3) > >>

Charles Hamilton:
Does anyone know anything about this line of products? the above was found on ebay and the company is at www.rmitaly.com .  attractive pricing for these solid state amps but I cannot find enough specs to understand what these units can do and how much of my alternator's output they are going to eat <G>  Also, how noisy are they? RF leakage in the truck?  damage to the truck's computor???
thanks  chas

Pat Bailey:
Junk CB amplifiers, for the most part.

Alan Applegate:
They may say "Amateur" on the outside, but they aren't much more than CB amps. The reason you don't see them here is, they can't get FCC certification.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Michael S. Higgins:
The RM-501 uses the Thompson SD1406 transistors. The device is rated for 150 watts out at 40 VDC. At 12 VDC the device will be lucky to put out 40 watts each. The amplifier uses four of the devices and a dual push pull arrangement. The amplifier has no output filtering and as a result I doubt it would pass FCC certification process.

RM Italy does make a HLA-300V, 450 watt amplifier that has full auto band switch low pass filtering, with power meter and remote keying. I have tested the amplifier and it passes FCC certification but has not been certificated as of yet. You can buy them for about $360.

You have to remember that not all amplifiers are designed for the US market. The HLA-300V is a very well built amplifier. If you buy the HLA-300V you will need a 50 amp. supply in the vehicle.

Some of their cheaper offerings are for third world needs but their higher priced amplifiers are as good or better than what is made in Mississippi for the ham market. As for FCC certification about half of the used ham amplifiers have never been certified by the FCC. It is up to the amateur to make sure their transmission are within FCC guidelines.

jeff:
"Some of their cheaper offerings are for third world needs but their higher priced amplifiers are as good or better than what is made in Mississippi for the ham market."

I love it ! Ok i admit i own 2 of those mississippi Amp's both 811 tube models. so shame on me i guess. but i could not have said it better in a general statement. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page