Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching Connectors?  (Read 355 times)
KG4LJF

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2001, 05:11:40 PM »

I have a magnet mount 1/4 wavelength 2 meter antenna. It has a PL-259 plug, which I want to change to a BNC plug. Would it be ok to cut the plug completely off, and go out and buy a BNC plug and put on the end of the coax? Anyway I can prevent RF leakage? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
N7JAU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2001, 05:24:46 PM »

Yes, you certainly can, but why don't you instead get a so239/bnc adapter?  You can buy adaptors at any good cb/ hamstore, and even (gag, gasp) Radio Shack. However, be careful--some time ago, and I don't know if they have improved--some of the Radio Shack, and I'm sure other inexpensive adapters--actually had SPRINGS inside to make the connection for the center pin after they were assembled. This spring, of cours, makes one great inductor.  The only way to check, that I know of, is to couple the questionable adaper up to a dummy load wattmeter capable of being accurate on the freq you want to use, and check the swr.
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2001, 02:09:17 AM »

I've used the adaptor for years; external antenna into a HT.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2001, 04:58:55 PM »

Why would there be "RF leakage?"  I don't get it.  Of course you can replace the PL-259 with an appropriate BNC.  BNC connectors come in all sorts of cable-end devices, including male and female, and solder-on (mil-spec UG88 family) as well as crimp-on (very acceptable quality).  In all cases, it takes some degree of training and experience to install the connector correctly, but I'd highly recommend you take this on and learn...it's valuable experience and knowledge, will help you all through your days in ham radio and provide you with the know-how to pass on to future generations asking the same question.  FYI, if you buy a mil-spec Amphenol UG88 type BNC (it has six pieces total to assemble, including a back nut; flat washer; rubber gasket; clamp nut; main housing; and solder-on pin), complete assembly directions, including cable cutting dimensions, are printed right on each connector package.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: