Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S-meter in PSK31  (Read 319 times)
VK2GWK

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2001, 01:30:36 AM »

In my humble opinion it is impossible to give a proper S-report in PSK-31. The signal strength as shown on the S-meter (for what that is worth) is that of the strongest station within the passband. With at times 8 - 10 stations working within 2.4 KC from 14.070 the S-meter reading does not say anything about the signal strength of the station you may be working.
So I suggest that in PSK31 we do not exchange S-meter readings but only readability. Also the "quality" should not be expressed in a figure 1-9 like in CW but the IMD figure should be given routinely as part of the signal report. On QSL cards as a report we should give: R1-5 IMD xxx.
I wonder what others think about this suggestion.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2001, 11:14:23 AM »

I think it's an excellent idea.  I'm sick of having other stations give me RST reports on PSK31 and then coming back to tell them that I find it impossible to reciprocate!  Instead of "Readability" it might be more informative to give a "Percent Copy" figure followed by an IMD figure.  For example, "85-22" would indicate approximately 85% copy with an IMD figure of -22db.
G4ILO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2001, 12:31:53 PM »

If you use a narrow filter when receiving it is possible to get an S-meter indication from the station you are working. And not all software reports on IMD (and that figure is pretty inaccurate except when receiving a strong signal on a quiet band, IMO.)

But S-meters are all liars anyway. I've always given S9 for loud and clear, S5 for just in the clear and S7 for somewhere in between, whatever the mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: