Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working a contest when not in the contest  (Read 385 times)
KC2GUC

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2001, 02:57:22 PM »

Group,

I am 8-months into my first year as a ham.  A basic beginer question that I have researched and can't figure out:

I don't "do" contests but sometimes I hear a station from an entity/state I need.  Is it bad form to work a station in a contest when one has no plans to submit logs from the contest?  Does that ruin his entry for me(i.e. to get points do logs have to match up, my entry of him matching his entry of me?) or is there no harm in this?

Jeffrey, kc2guc

WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2001, 05:25:24 PM »

Hi Jeff!

Well, to answer your question...

It is perfectly OK to answer a contest station even if you are not active in the contest. They still need to QSO and will normally QSL as well.

However, there is one thing that the casual particpant should bear in mind: If you make one and only one QSO in the contest, that QSO may be marked as a "unique" in the contest stations log. This means that the contact might be invalidated for contest purposes, even though you and the other station know it to be a good QSO.

So, if you do decide to hand out some contest QSO's please remember to give out a few more. Normally, I give out ten or fifteen QSO's just to ensure that the contester is not actually penalized for taking the time to give me the QSO that I wanted.

I use contests as a way to up my DX country totals, WAS ect...

Just jump in and have fun!

Gary, WG7X
"Casual contestor"
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2001, 10:25:26 PM »

"Uniques" are almost NEVER purged - not in the contests I pay attention to.  A station submitting a log with an excessive amount of uniques in it might raise a flag, however.

Please do give out one or two contacts.  Better yet, give out more!

73 Mike N2MG
webmaster
VE7ZDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2001, 02:30:34 AM »

Tnx fellas for answering the hams questions on contest contacts. Makes perfect sense to give out a "handfull or more" contacts to those contesting. I also am always eager too help anywhere I can. 73  de  VE7ZDX
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2001, 05:02:29 PM »

If it is DX contact for a new country, I work 'em.  

If I've worked the DX before, I work 'em as a way of saying thanks for the previous contact(s).

In some contests, like a WAS type, if we are in the same state, I work 'em, 'cause they may need the state, especially on 160 or 80 meters.

Have FUN
Bob
KC9L

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2001, 07:39:01 AM »

One more tip-  before contacting the station, listen to a few exchanges to figure out the exchange the contest is using.  The exchange is info that is required to make the contact "official" for the log.  Usually signal report (59 or 599 for purposes of the contest), state or country, and sometimes CQ Zone (see CQ magazine for details on that) are used. Also, some contests require a serial number that starts with 1 for your first contest QSO and goes up 1 with each additional QSO.  If you work more than 1 station in the contest, make sure you don't repeat the serial number as that will show up in the logs.  You should be able to figure out the exchange within a couple of contacts, and this will speed things along for you and the contester, making your chances of getting a QSL better.

73 and good luck!

Chris KC9L

P.S. about 20 or so of my WAS cards came from contests.
K6MKF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2001, 07:11:23 PM »

This is how I seem to work every contest ... I get on the bands Sat. morning and everyone is calling 'CQ Contest' ... so I run around the house trying to find this month's and last month's QST so I can look up the Contest Corral and find out what the contesters are looking for.  Also, for the more organized, you can surf over to http://www.arrl.org/contests check out the info there.

One of these days I need to participate in a contest on purpose ...

--- 73s and Enjoy! de K6MKF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: