Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning a roller inductor  (Read 831 times)
AG4CT

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2001, 07:53:26 PM »

Recently purchased a used MFJ 989C and the roller inductor is slightly noisy.  What is the best product(s) to clean it with?  I thought there was a post on this before, but could not find it.  The tuner works great otherwise, tunes my G5RV 1:1 except on 160, where it is 1.7:1.  It handles my Ameritron AL-84 just fine so far.

Steve AG4CT
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2001, 09:15:30 AM »

I don't claim this is the best available, but WD-40 does a dandy job of loosening oxidation from plated contacts. Wet a Q-Tip with a short squirt and have at it...

Never change a password on a Friday                
G4HZV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2001, 03:28:20 AM »

I presume the MFJ is a wheel contact, not a scraper. If you're ever looking for a roller coaster at a flea market, go for the rubbing contact ones, because they are self cleaning.

I've had similar contact problems with wheel roller coasters. Get some alcohol or switch cleaner on a small piece of rag and hold it firmly on the inductor as you rotate it. The rag will be black when you finish, so you might need a few treatments. It's amazing how messy and greasy these things become. Give the wheel and end contacts a good dose of switch cleaner and it should be fine.
K3UOD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2001, 03:18:22 PM »

I use alcohol on a pipe cleaner to clean the groove in the contact wheel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: