Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB ports  (Read 839 times)
KB7OZT

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2001, 02:15:50 PM »

Hello All,

My old lap top finally died and for a warranty replacement I was given one that only has USB ports to make serial/parrallel connections with.  There are serial port adapters made (around $45 a piece) but I've been told that they don't always work for all applications.  Does any one have any experience with these adapters or some other means of using a USB port for Ham radio applications?  I usually use my computer to control my TS-440 and also for the cluster with a Kantronics KPC 3+.  I'm currently using Log windows for software.  Thanks for any or all help!

IV3/KB7OZT
Sean
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2001, 04:26:33 PM »

Sean,
I am using a USB to Serial convertor to operate the CAT between my FT-920 and a program called MixW V2.0. I was forced into trying the USB because I had IRQ conflicts between the comport for my TNC and CAT when both were operated from the MixW program. (I have run out of serial port IRQ options.) I orderred a low cost model from www.iogear.com that sells for 39 bux and it works fine on my Win98SE system. It only has a DB9 connector, but they are easy to adapt to DB25 if needed. If I add more seial devices in the future, I will go this direction again...  

KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2001, 04:42:38 PM »

I have an IBM laptop that has no serial port but has the USB port. I am using an adapter for my serial keyboard to USB port I got from Radio Shack and it works great. I am told that Fry Electronics sells 4 port USB hubs for around $12 and I saw an ad for Circuit City Sunday for a USB 4 port hub for $19.  That should work for you. I need to retain my serial stuff because I also have a HP 5500CTS laptop that has the serial port, so I can't just throw out the serial stuff since I use it for controlling my IC-706 as well as PSK31.
Frank
KL7IPV
AB4CY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2001, 09:52:57 AM »

Sean,
I have tried several of the USB to RS-232 adapters available. The one I found worked the best is the Belkin F5U003. I can even assign an IRQ with supplied software.
Also, there are PCMCIA serial cards available that work very well also.
I obtained both items from ebay auctions.

Ed  AB4CY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: