Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HTs/CW  (Read 536 times)
KC2FBV

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2001, 09:06:27 PM »

I have an FT-50 HT.
Is there a way to put a morse code key where the external mike goes?
N7JAU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2001, 09:43:48 PM »

I don't think you want to try, at least what I THINK you want to try.   Are you trying to key the Ft50 in "true" cw--that is, keying and unkeying the radio PTT to turn the transmitter on or off?

I don't believe the PTT circuitry will follow this. There seems to be a minute delay when you key or unkey the thing.

If you want to use MODULATED cw, then you will have to devise the same difference as a "nice" sounding code practice (audio oscillator) and run it into the mike jack as you would a speaker mike. I'll have to look up the connections, you do know, do you not, that the mike jack is a special phone jack with an extra ring?  That is ground, tip, and TWO rings--one is for programming.  
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2001, 12:07:09 PM »

The MFJ-552 facilitates CW over an HT.
KF4DVG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2001, 11:35:44 AM »

Check out the July 1997 article in QST- you can make a simple device based on the old 555 chip. Article name is "CW with your H-T"- author is Don DuBon, N6JRL.  Also- another one is in CQ VHF magazine (no longer printed- absorbed by big brother CQ magazine). This article is in the Jan 1998 edition and is titled "Morsing on your FM rig"- author is Dave Ingram, K4TWJ. This device is based on the 556 chip which I believe is just a "double" 555.

Hope this helps.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: