Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Band Plan  (Read 546 times)
WR8Y

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2001, 10:06:41 PM »

That was the best way to explain why bandplans should be followed!   We don't do so to be a mind-numbed robot, we do so to assure that OUR part of the band is respected, too!  (Imagine an SSB conversation on the input of a carrier-squelch repeater!!)
KP4ROR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2001, 12:18:13 AM »

During the last year I heard many amateur stations in Puerto Rico using the frequency 147.400 MHZ in simplex mode, many of them are friend of mine.  They invite me in theirs qso and I don't accept the invitation because as I understand that frequency are not assigned to be use as a simplex frequency.  During a search that I made I found that the frequencies between 147.39 and 147.42 are delivered un assigned to make an space between the repeater output 147.39 and 147.42 simplex.  I think that this was to avoid the stations that wants to operate in simplex mode on 147.42 don't interfere with the 147.39 repeater output.  I want to know if its legally transmit on frequencies 147.39 to 147.42 MHZ. that are not assigned in the band plan.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2001, 10:10:50 AM »

Hi: As long as you have the appropriate class of license, it's LEGAL to transmit anywhere in any amateur band. But it may be rude and uncouth, and most definitely uncool, to do so!
  The point here is less legalities than courtesy. You don't like to be cut off in traffic, jostled in crowds, jammed into a corner in an elevator, etc., etc.. Band plans generally give every Amateur a place to operate that is free of deliberate or gratuitious interference. And a thoughtless choice of frequencies can needlessly interfere with other hams.
  For example, the bottom of most UHF/VHF bands are dedicated to weak signal work. Holding a QSO down there may well keep someone who has waited for years to work a new one from succeeding. And that's uncouth, to say the least.
  However, if your chums are in a simplex QSO anywhere well within a band and it's not likely to QRM someone it's OK to join them.
 Just listen first and if the frequency is in use - QSY. Ask if the frequency is in use before you jump in. And if you are asked to move - it's a point to you if you do. Just do unto others as you would have them do to you, keep out of the weak signal subbands, and enjoy.
  73  Pete Allen  AC5E
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2001, 11:42:03 PM »

Yo... Allen, AC5E:

Usually I agree with your advice 100%, but you needed a qualifier on the statement about it being legal to transmit anywhere in a band if you have the appropriate class of license.

CW is the only mode that's legal for a US Ham in any band segment. Even though you'll hear SSB below 14.150 MHz (as an example) in the non-phone portion of 20 Meters, it's more than a courtesy for us to avoid the practice. It's The Law.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2001, 12:22:45 PM »

If the simplex operation on 147.40 MHz interferes with a repeater
on 147.39, then I'd say it is not a good idea.  However, if there is
no repeater on 147.39 in the area, there is nothing wrong with using
simplex on 147.40.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: