Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ten-Tec TT 626 2N6m vs other 2m and 6m radio's  (Read 500 times)
WH6LR

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2001, 10:25:53 PM »

I'm planning on buying the New Ten-Tec 6M and 2M IF DSP radio they just have release for sale for $695.00
take care 73's de Jim  WH6LR
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2001, 06:32:14 PM »

I popped over to the Ten-Tec web site and took a look. Says the 526 is in the FCC acceptance process and isn't quite ready for sale... Interesting rig, and the picture looks good.

But, before you drop ~ $700 for a dual-band rig, you have shopped the competition, yes? I have no problem with Ten-Tec's reputation, but I do know the FT-817 was a hot item at Dayton this year and they can be bought for $749. The $50 more than the Ten-Tec gets you HF and 70cm but drops the transmitter from 20 watts to 5. That's approximately 6dB, or one S-Unit, everything else being equal.

Worried about the QRP transmitter? The IC-706MkIIG is $904 and the FT-100D is $949 from the same place as the FT-817. Either rig will run 100 watts HF through Six with more power on Two and 70cm than the 526. For the sake of another ~ $200, that's worth considering...

Never change a password on a Friday                

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2001, 02:26:57 PM »

>But, before you drop ~ $700 for a dual-band rig, you >have shopped the competition, yes? I have no problem >with Ten-Tec's reputation, but I do know the FT-817 >was a hot item at Dayton this year and they can be >bought for $749. The $50 more than the Ten-Tec gets >you HF and 70cm but drops the transmitter from 20 >watts to 5. That's approximately 6dB, or one S-Unit, >everything else being equal.

"Everything else being equal" isn't really the case, though.  It appears (on paper) that the 526 may be a significantly better VHF transceiver than the FT-817.
The 526 is all IF-DSP, has 35 built-in receive filters,
separate outputs for 2m and 6m antennas, microwave transverter drive, triple conversion receiver - while the 817 is certainly a versatile piece of equipment, for serious VHF operation I appears the Ten-Tec radio is the better choice, and cheaper as well.

DG5DBV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2001, 12:19:54 PM »

hi,

the July issue of the germany CQ-DL has a test of the FT817. It shows that it is a nice radio even on HF. But it shows the the 2m RX is the poorest (compared with HF,6m and 70cm). They found out that the reciver is IM3 point is minus 14.8 db. That is bad for contesting on two.

bye

Oli
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: