Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the FCC ULS page so CONFUSING?  (Read 1059 times)
KF6OTP

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2001, 03:37:14 PM »

Eveytime I upgrade and try to search for it on the FCC ULS page, I can NEVER access it.  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks and 73 de Pat, KF6OTP
AD6MJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2001, 04:29:54 PM »

Pat, it's been a while since I used ULS but, they used to require the Netscape browser. I have no idea why, except maybe trying to give Microsoft a hard time :)Then again, considering it's the government, we should be surprised if it weren't confusing.
73, Bill
KC8YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2001, 04:34:48 PM »

Don't feel bad Pat,I tried using the ULS page to apply for a Vanity Call last week and I discovered that they wanted Netscape as well.The bad part was that after downloading Netscape,it still wouldn't work and I being frustrated,just downloaded the forms.For every step forward we go back two.
INITZERO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2001, 05:00:30 PM »

Step one: Use Netscape version 4.73 (no later; no earlier).
Step two: If you have problems, give the FCC a call. (The
phone number is on the ULS site.)

When I applied for my vanity call, I couldn't get the ULS
application to work. I called the ULS support desk and
got a live person on the third ring. No menus. No voicemail.
No holding. No lame music. I dialed the number and got a
real live person.

I got my application completed in under half an hour. The
guy at the other end of the phone was friendly and knew
what he was talking about.

In all my dealings with government agencies, the FCC is
by far the best in terms of customer service. If only the
IRS and DMV were half as nice.

Matt
KF6OTP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2001, 05:15:14 PM »

Thanks for the information.  I'm using AOL and I don't think I want to download Netscape.  I searched all of the callsign databases and found that the Buckmaster page will search the FCC database for you. I was able to get my new callsign by simply clicing on the link.

Thanks and 73 de Pat, now AD6YO :-)!

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2001, 05:36:04 PM »

In the private sector, if a company fails to properly serve you, the competition gets your business. If an employee of a company that's in a competitive environment fails to meet performance expectations, or isn't helping improve the bottom line in some fashion, he or she usually isn't around for very long. Such companies simply can't afford to keep unproductive people.

Governments (and certain monopolies like the local phone and cable company) don't have competition, so there's no incentive to serve the customer. Since their revenue stream is virtually guaranteed, these entities can treat your call or inquiry as a nuisance call. And unless a government employee commits a felony on the job, it's impossible to fire him. They certainly aren't fire-able for performance reasons! So they have no incentive either.

Hopefully that clears things up for you about why there are problems with the ULS site.

P.S. It is in government's best interest to NOT solve problems, because once a problem goes away, so does the need for that particular group or department. That's why the War on Poverty is now almost 40 years old, and getting a bigger budget every year.

Non-profit advocacy groups have the same incentive to keep problems alive. I wish I could come up with a tug-at-your-heartstrings or a save-the-world cause that would entice people to send me money in exchange for their receiving exhortations in the mail every few months. Think about it- people sending you money not for a product or a service, but sending you money just to be sure they keep getting junk mail!
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2001, 07:42:31 PM »

Howdy: The reason the FCC uses Netscape can be summed up in one word. Security. Microsoft's net browser is as full of holes as a colandar. (for the non-cooks, a colandar is a metal bowl with numerous small holes, typically used to drain water off cooked spaghetti, etc.) And if usually correct computer gurus are correct the next verson of Windows will open your computer for the whole world to Explore with Explorer.
  While Netscape is far from hacker proof, it's far more secure than Explorer.  Since the ULS has the names and addresses of real live people who don't want everyone and their crooked cousin browsing through their personal info, that leaves Netscape.
  I can certainly sympathize with those who don't want to use Netscape. I'm still on AOL myself, even though I strongly disagree with AOL-TimeWarner's ultra-left political positions. But my company uses another service provider and Netscape because many of my suppliers won't take an order placed using Explorer.
   73  Pete Allen  AC5E

KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2001, 08:31:02 AM »

Why Netscape?
No special reason, it is just the FCC's policy.

Why isn't ULS easier to use?
What do you'all expect?  Something easy from the government?  If things were easy, then we would not be filing forms 1040 for taxes.

Apart from the joke, I have noticed that the place is not easy to navigate, either.

73 de Bert at KA2UUP
KD4YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2001, 09:51:32 AM »

I tried to use the site, several times and finally gave up. I have Netscape, and have been using PC's for > 10 years, so I assume that the FCC expects you to have a PH.D in computer science and penchant for mind reading. I'm glad to read hear that I'm not the only one, or going crazy (for the most part)!!
                                             73's   de KD4YLQ    (AKA Jim Widgren)
W3GEO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2001, 10:04:12 AM »

I have never been able to get it to work using a Macintosh and Netscape. Like others I just downloaded the froms I needed. Has anyone had success with the site using a Mac?

George
W3GEO
KG6GLN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2001, 01:13:11 PM »

Went to www.fcc.gov, did a search on "amateur license"
in the FCC Word Search Tool.  Third hit down:Amateur licensing information, first link: Obtaining an Amateur Radio Operator License; there is a link called:

http://www.fcc.gov/wtb/uls/

on the right side there is a link called "licnese search":

http://wtbwww05.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/UlsQueryLic/UlsQueryLic.exe?FNC=goto_query_type__Ahome_html

there you are.  It worked for me with IE5, but you have to type in your name last, first with a comma in between.

Have fun,
Roy
a slow code general, but at least I can navigate around a website Tongue  Hey, do they have classifications for web surfing like Tech, General, and Extra?  (Now don't say "clone", "nerd", and "ultra-geek")
KG6DV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2001, 02:27:36 PM »

while the uls has a certain lack of logic to it....i
find that, after paying attention to how dumb the
system design is i can use it. this with ie and not
netsc.  the downside is that with ie you can only
do a limited number of the uls functions. search the
uls is one of them...and it works well.
I agree with the previous reply that was shocked at
the great level of customer service...i called uls
support three times at first...live person every time... what govt agency does that these days ?
the live cust-serv person knew the system and from what
i could tell had heard all the misteaks that could be
made.  with ie you can search (very well)...upload
license renewal and admin-updates. for myself...i wont
load netscape for anyreason.  if you mail your app to
the fcc and then track on uls...the new rule gives
paper apps the same respect as online-uls apps. you
dont loose time.  the fcc however needs to wake up...
the uls needs to be useable by ie users.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2001, 11:30:31 AM »

Wow, a lot of comments!

But I have the REAL answer to the original question:

Because it was designed by the low-bidder.

73!

Steve WB2WIK/6
KA2QFX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2001, 04:54:08 PM »

Hah! The lowest bidder. I like that, too bad it's probably the truth.

Why Netscape? 'Cause the government is somewhat at odds with Mr. Gates at the present time.

And the ALS isn't too difficult to navigate at all, all you have to do is think like a ghum'int puke.

So much for not using your SS # for ID ehh?

What I don't understand is why I can't look up my commercial license even thought it's registered in the same database. And that's the one that makes me money! All I get from them now is a slip of paper that looks like a poor fraudulent photocopy.  Go figure...

Sorry I'm of no help. But I feel better now.

Mark
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2001, 06:44:30 PM »

Government service is an oxymoron.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: