Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antennas  (Read 373 times)
N4ZW

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2001, 11:43:49 AM »

Fellow hams:  I just moved to a new QTH.  No room for a tower or dipole.  Only solution is to roof mount a tower such as a Glen Martin design.  I need a relatively light antenna that will cover as many bands as possible  (DC to Light?  Smiley)Any suggestions based on personal experience will be greatly appreciated.  Giovanni ?  Taffie Hex Beam?
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2001, 12:02:04 PM »

Once you have that roof "tower" installed, you will have options other than beams.
Might I recommend you put the lighter rotatable antennas on top (10 meters -light) and hang inverted vees down from the top for the lower bands. You can even turn your guying wires into inverted dipoles. You can make just one long inverted vee doublet fed with outdoor style TV twin-lead and use it with a balanced tuner for "all-band" operation. You might even try loading the "tower" if you are brave... ;-)

Have fun.  Griff
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2001, 02:25:25 PM »

The G-M roof towers are expensive, but well made and very strong -- not a bad choice.  I've got one, myself (the 8' model).

You might consider Tennadyne LP beams...they have models for 10 MHz all the way up to 1300 MHz...with two rotatable beams, you could actually cover 12 amateur bands using strong but very lightweight and well-performing antennas.  I have a Tennadyne T-6, which covers 20-17-15-12-10m very effectively and weighs almost nothing.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2001, 03:33:41 PM »

HI: I have two of the Martin roof towers. One has a vertical and the other a Force 12 C3. Both work fine and have been up through gale force winds

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2001, 12:40:16 AM »

One beam that is small and works well is the hybrid-quad antenna marketed by T.G.M. Communciations . Look at http://www3.sympatico.ca/TGMC/index.html
It is like the old mini beam I used to use and although it WILL NOT equal the big guys, it will work in places where you need light weight and small size. I also used a Hy-Gain TH3Jr for years with very good results and it is not heavy. If I heard them, I was usually able to work them. It is now available from MFJ Enterprises. Look at http://www.hy-gain.com
Good luck.
Frank
KL7IPV
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2001, 12:12:01 AM »

Are you sure you can't put up a Rohn 25G bolted to the side of your house?  OR a crank up, no guy tower?  Or a crank up tower, bolted to the side of your house?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: