Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamstick Dipole Mount  (Read 528 times)
N6SVP

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2001, 12:05:05 PM »

Hello.

This weekend I purchased two of those antenna mounts that allow you to make a horizontal or vertical dipole using two whip antennas – my intention is to make vertical 15M & 20M dipoles.  

However, I noticed that out of the package, the lug to mount the “grounded” whip/half of the dipole is electrically insulated from the mount through the use of to plastic spacers.  I’m assuming that for proper operation, one of these spacer should be removed so that there is electrical contact between the grounded ½ of the dipole, the mount, and the coax shield.  

If you do not remove one of the insulators, why would you ever want to set it up this way?  Am I missing something?  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2001, 12:18:27 PM »

Don't remove anything.  There is no "grounded" half of a dipole...both sides are exactly as "hot," and can be interchanged.  The fact that one side of the dipole happens to connect to the coaxial cable braid, which you may think of as a "ground," is irrelevant.  It's ground for DC, not for RF.

The braid of the cable connects to one isolated side of the Hamstick dipole, and the center conductor of the cable connects to the other isolated side of the Hamstick dipole.  This prevents an electrical connection between the "braid connected" side of the dipole and any metal supporting mast you might use to hold the resulting dipole in place -- those should not, and cannot, be connected together.

73, Steve WB2WIK/6
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2001, 12:55:20 PM »

Steve is correct.  Both halves of the dipole need to be isolated from the mount.  One other consideration in the even you opt to mount the dipole vertically:  You'll get better results if you mount the half of the dipole that's connected to the center conductor of the coax UP and the half that's connected to the coax shield DOWN.  I have used this antenna both horizontally and vertically with pretty good results.  Good luck.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: